Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$267
$159
$599
Fairmont.com
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$172
  • Restaurant
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$345
$299
$219
$183
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$162
  • Beachfront
$149
BestWestern.com
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$183
$159
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$176
$169
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$310
$290
Hotelpower.com
  • Restaurant
2,165 results
All reviewswine hourpetco parkgaslamp districtjsix restaurantwine receptionconvention centerrooftop poolcomplimentary winemini barfree happy hourfourth floorthe gas lamp districtevery eveningrestaurants and barsovernight parkingvalet parkingper night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 11, 2014

No down/feather pillows, only hard foam, until you call and make a request. Great pool with a great bar! No coffee in room, and no coffee at all if you have to catch an early flight. Valet lost our car and our keys the morning we were going to the airport! Front desk staff said "sorry they are contracted, cannot help you!. My husband had to jog all around the parking lot to find our car! We were late, so had to let the rental company fill up the gas tank for $85. I expected more from Kimpton-Solamar. Great location. Nice rooms. Also a barking dog across the hall all night long, luckily I brought earplugs!

Room Tip: Do not use the valet! Bring earplugs!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GnLT1
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Hello GnLT1 ,

I want to apologize for letting you down regarding the valet incident. I've reached out to you via email. Please let me know if you have additional concerns or questions.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband regularly takes customers & their wives to San Diego Padre games & this is out " go-to" hotel. They are efficient & welcoming. Our guests always enjoy the complimentary evening wine reception. We love the corner rooms with spa tubs that overlook Bubs, The Blind Burro, & Petco park. It can get a bit noisy at "closing time" but dies down quickly. The beds are comfy, the mini bar is WELL stocked, & I love the fluffy cheetah print robes. The location is within easy wailing distance of many awesome restaurants & good shopping. Well done Kimpton!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_Solamar, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Hi Mommarhonda,

Root, root, root for the home team! Thanks for the great review. Still 3 months of baseball season left. We’ll see you back soon!

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Went with my lady and stayed April 18-20. Paid $157/night

What I liked:

Valet service
Friendly staff
Comfortable bed
Excellent water pressure (one neglects this until its missing usually)
Hot water even during morning rush
Incredible location next to Petco Park in the gaslamp quarter of downtown.
Free beer 5-6pm in lobby.

Things I didn't like:

This was a hotel that allowed pets to stay there. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to sleep in a bed that somebody's dogs have rolled all over in. That may be my fault for not seeing that advertised but I never thought to.

The cleaning staff did a half-assed job.
There was dust everywhere, I found cat claws in the sheets, and there was only one roll of toilet paper in the bathroom.

How the heck are you not going to show the Padres game on the television!? I could have had better channel selection from rabbit ears.

The "rooftop bar" was on the 4th floor of an 11 floor building (uh... Okay?) and it was so expensive! The drinks there were 3x as much as the countless bars and pubs in the gaslamp quarter.

I get it that you want to be cool and stuff, but at least let me use the refrigerator. It was filled with booze (which is rad) but I would prefer to use the refrigerator. My father is diabetic and needs his insulin refrigerated. There is no room for that. And what if my lady was lactating? The bottles would spoil! Show owner comment »

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello ABushong,

Looks like we weren’t up to par during your stay and I apologize for that. All Kimpton Hotels are pet-friendly but all have pet free floors upon request. We do deep clean our rooms and replace all linens in the room anytime a pet departs a room. Also, our refrigerators are not weighted so anything can be removed and replaced with no charge to fit medicine or other items that need refrigeration. We also have extra fridges available upon request. I am glad the staff was friendly and our location was incredible. I hope you’ll give us another try in the future.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Hotel Solamar made an impression on me already before my arrival by asking me to send a picture of my loved one(s) or a place that would wait me in my room when I arrive. It was a very nice idea. I was able to receive my room already at 10.30 am when I arrived, which I had not expected. Service was very friendly and room big and clean. I was on the 8th floor windows facing the pool, but the little noise from outside did not disturb me at all. I slept very well. There were some special things in the closet like funny bath robe and yoga mat. I missed slippers, but it was not a very big deal to me. The location of the hotel is very convenient especially, if you need to be close to the Convention Center. It is in downtown and it was very easy to walk everywhere. The tram line is just around the corner, if you wish to go further e.g. to the Old Town. You can have free wifi by joining the bonus programme, which is free. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Hi Liisa738,

Thanks for the great review! We’re happy our staff was so friendly and the room was nice and clean. Glad you enjoyed our funky robes and yoga mats too! Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed at the Solamar while in San Diego for the Rock n Roll Half Marathon last weekend. It is a very dog friendly property (yay!) and the staff there is very helpful and friendly. Like most Kimpton properties, it is decorated beautifully, and very clean and tidy (even with dogs everywhere). If there had been an animal in the room we were given prior to use being there, I never would have known. I was very impressed.

If you are bringing a pup, you don't have to call ahead, but if you do, they'll add the pup's name to the welcome board in the front of the hotel.

The pool area is great and very active during the day, but it's a great place to relax and enjoy a drink. J Six lounge is downstairs. The Solamar is located just down the street from Petco Park and just about everything in the Gaslamp district is within walking distance. Free wi-fi if you belong to their loyalty program (nice). The rooms are a decent enough size. It's a great property and I highly recommend the Solamar.

Oh - parking is like $41/day, so take that into consideration. I feel like people always forget that hotels aren't very up front about this charge and then they get hit with it in the end.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Stacy M,

Thanks for the woof-derful review! We’re really happy you enjoyed your stay. Come back and see us soon!