“Good not Great for a Kimpton”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #39 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Good not Great for a Kimpton”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We traveled to San Diego for Memorial Day weekend and into the following week for 3 nights. I chose Hotel Solamar for the proximity to restaurants, entertainment, shopping etc. and in that regard the location did not disappoint. There were several items that

Pros: Location, location, location. Master suite was had a nice view of downtown and the pool plus large jacuzzi soaking tub. Spacious and comfortable room. Friendly and prompt front desk manager and bell men. Nice but small pool.

Cons: Early check-in wasn't available and then was unable to receive key for an hour and a half after standard check-in of 3 p.m. At least 10 other couples were frustrated and waiting for rooms as well. Room showed signs of wear especially in bathroom and living room furniture. Housekeeping was a bit lax, they didn't refold blankets at end of bed and seemed to take quite a while to refresh room.

Be advised....we stayed in Room 703 and on weekend nights there is tremendous noise from a nightclub across the street until about 2 a.m.! If you are a light sleeper or want to relax, this side of the hotel is not for you. We could clearly make out the song lyrics and felt the bass from a rooftop nightclub next door. I would advise asking for a room on the other side of the hotel if you are looking for a good night's rest. Luckily we were in town to party so we weren't bothered but it is something to know prior to check-in.

Overall the Solamar is a nice place to stay but not as nice as many of the other Kimpton properties I've stayed in across the U.S. The front desk manager was very apologetic and accommodating about the long check-in wait and even offered us a complimentary meal in the hotel restaurant which was very generous. I would consider staying here again but would also think about other properties in Gaslamp that would offer the same location and perhaps a smoother stay overall.

Room Tip: Corner master suites are nice but can be noisy if on the J street side of the building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear CwMsWow,

Apologies for a less than perfect experience! I'm truly sorry about the challenges you had during check in. Every weekend it's a balance to be respectful of the guests that want to take their time in leaving and those that want to get in asap. While it can be tough, it's what we do and I'm sorry we didn't deliver for you! I am happy to hear that our team was responsive to the challenge you had and I hope you enjoyed dinner. Thanks again and I do hope you give us another try in the future.

Hotel Solamar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I reserved the corner room with a Jacuzzi tub. I stayed for two nights and it was just what I hoped it would be. First off the the staff is great and friendly. The room was big, the bed was extremely comfortable, had a sitting area, and cabinet with a refrigerator underneath and a bar on top. The bathroom was really cool; glass shower, nice modern vanity and sink, and the tub that had a step up. A couple of complaints: to get free Wi-Fi you have to sign up to there "club" or it will cost $11.99 a day, the refrigerator took a long time to cool. Oh I forgot to mention, the location is right up the street from the baseball stadium and there were two bars right across the street.

Dear Stepan S,

Glad to hear that you had a good time! We're definitely in a great neighborhood and I'm happy you were able to take advantage of our local attractions. Also appreciate hearing the feedback about our internet. Kimpton InTouch membership does offer comp wireless internet at all of our hotels (60 and growing!), but there's a lot of other benefits that come along with it. You can check them out at our Kimpton brand's website. Thanks again and I hope you come back soon.

Danville, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We spent a couple nights at the Solamar over Memorial day weekend. I always enjoy the Kimpton hotels because of the extra personal touches.
I was a little disappointed this stay however. We checked in late, close to midnight, and while the check in was quick, it was a bit impersonal. The clerk didn't acknowledge that we are In Touch members as they usually do, and didn't point out any of the ammenities, such as the evening wine hour. He simply checked us in, and pointed to the elevators.
The rest of our stay was great though. We had a great corner room with lots of light. I only wish there was better lighting in the bathroom. It was very dim and would have benefitted from a lighted make up mirror. I love that they had shampoo and soap dispenser in the bathroom. I always feel there is a lot of waste in those tiny bottles. Thanks for thinking about the environment Kimpton!

1 Thank JenA61
Dear JenA61,

Sorry about the less than spectacular stay! I appreciate hearing your feedback about your arrival experience. During my years as a overnight manager my experience with late arriving travelers was they wanted to get into a room as fast as possible because of a long day. Speed was always of the essence, but the goal was to not cut any corners on service! We'll recap with our team on the right way to be respectful of a guest's time but make sure we're covering all of the information they need to hear. Thanks again for joining us and I hope you can come back and see the hotel that we're so proud of, rather than the one you experienced.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Not what I expected from a Kimpton Hotel. My wife and I got a suit for a night, after staying at Hotel La Jolla. The hotel was way to crowded, there wasn't even enough staff to help all the guest at the front counter. I think it took us 25 min to check in. There were dogs everywhere and of course the hotel ignored our request for a dog free room, so my wife's allergies were all over the place. The biggest rip off was the valet fee, $40. I know it is downtown but dang that is still high. Our rooms were severely worn with broken tiles in the bathroom and a damaged sofa in the living room. The linen was far from what I expected. The only positive parts of this hotel was the location and the valet staff. If I had a choice I would have rather stayed another night at hotel la jolla vs going to the solamar. If I could get my money back I would. All I got was a beat up room and a wife with allergies the whole weekend thanks to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Kenneths1211
Dear Kenneths1211,

Sorry to hear that! Sounds like we were really off our game during your stay. Here's what I'd ask of you (and every future traveler that reads this). My office is right in the lobby. The reason I'm there is so I can hear the voice of our guests and make it right when we get this far off track. Apologies once again, I'd love the chance to speak with you more about it.

Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed everything about our stay at Hotel Solamar. I will preface the review by saying parking is very expensive; but that is true in all areas in the gaslight district in San Diego. So we parked in a nearby garage which was only about a 2 to 3 minute walk and saved considerably. The rooms are great with a contemporary feel. The location is fantastic close to all the restaurants and shops in the gaslight district, and the pool and the upstairs lounge area is so much fun. In San Diego it's like this little rooftop Party community. It was a great little weekend getaway from Los Angeles. I recommend HS.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank PateRedondoBeach_CA
Dear PateRedondoBeach_CA,

Thanks for joining us! Glad to hear that you were able to make a local getaway. Loved the comment as well about the rooftop community; that's a great way to look at our LoungeSIX pool! Please come back soon, and have a wonderful summer.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Excellent clean room, friendly service and overall great hotel located right in the heart of the Gaslamp District. Lots of great restaurants within a couple blocks. The price was right too. They have a free wine hour at 5pm and a rooftop pool which was nice to spend a few hours relaxing by when we weren't seeing the sights. The only downside was the parking, but from what I can see all hotels charged the same (around $40/night) but is a parkade 1-2 blocks away that charges $10/night. Other than that we'd definitely stay there again and I'd recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Ours was on the other side of the pool - but the pool closes early (9pm) and it didn't seem to...
1 Thank CYVR_Traveler
CYVR_Traveler,

Thanks for the feedback about your visit! Glad to hear that you'd come back! Please join us again and have a wonderful summer.

Ufa, Russia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at Solamar for some days in Nov. 2008. Among the most conspicuous advantages of this hotel that immediately present themselves are:
* a pleasant, business-like yet unobtrusive atmosphere
* attentive, caring, well-trained staff
* spaciousness, tidiness and meticulous comfort of all the rooms and premises
* great location - in the very downtown area, right in the Gas Lamp district!
* all the modern conveniences to meet the most fastidious taste
The free wine hour also came as a very pleasing gesture of hospitality and good will on the hotel's part.
The only slight drawbacks that could possibly be explained by my not being accustomed to US hotels in general are:
* when I stayed, there was a great brawling party right on my floor, and, notwithstanding the solid walls and door of my room, working inside (not to say sleeping) was entirely impossible
* another time, there was some other kind of party in the hotel lobby, and I was asked by a hotel clerk to present my ID as I entered the hotel - which wasn't of course at all outrageous, and rather proved the prudent security organization, but I might as well have left my ID (driver's license) behind in the hotel room, which would have entailed additional hassle.

To summarize: a great place to stay; all conveniences imaginable; laundry and other services superb; the price tag okay for most travellers, esp. on business. And - free wine every day...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Iskander_S
Dear Iskander_S,

Thanks for the recap of your recent stay with us. It's always great to hear from a world traveler! I appreciate the feedback about our wonderful team and great location. Apologies for the issues with the noise from your less than thoughtful neighbors, but I'm happy to hear that our overnight team was being security conscious. Because we're in a very popular tourist destination we want to make sure that everyone remains safe during their stay. Thanks again for joining us and I hope you can make it back to the States soon!