Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$267
$159
$599
Fairmont.com
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$172
  • Restaurant
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$345
$299
$219
$183
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$162
  • Beachfront
$149
BestWestern.com
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$183
$159
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$176
$169
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$310
$290
Hotelpower.com
  • Restaurant
2,165 results
All reviewswine hourpetco parkgaslamp districtjsix restaurantwine receptionconvention centerrooftop poolcomplimentary winemini barfree happy hourfourth floorthe gas lamp districtevery eveningrestaurants and barsovernight parkingvalet parkingper night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Great time. Pet Friendly. Loved it. Wish the pool were opened and that there were an ono-site spa facility instead of just in room. Would stay again here or try other Kimpton properties. Close to Petco and great for Padres game or walk into the Gaslamp.

Room Tip: Love the spa tub. Pet friendly. Would definitely stay again. Would have loved an on-site spa facility, but in room is available.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear Madam56,

There is no better place to be than San Diego in the spring! I'm very happy that you had a chance to join us, although my apologies about the pool being closed. Due to wear and tear we made the decision to have it resurfaced before the summer started. The work was unfortunately delayed, but it's been completed now. It's going to take another week or so from the time of this writing (4/20) to ensure that it cures properly and then we'll be ready for the summer! In the meantime we've made arrangements for our guests to use the pool of our sister hotel down the street on a complimentary basis. Hopefully this will minimize any inconvenience to our guests. Thanks again for joining us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Solamar - a very Kimpton Hotel

p.s. The pool came out great!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here for four nights in April, really based on TripAdvisor reviews, and pleased I did. Great location right in the centre of San Diego, walkable to all the restaurants and bars of the GasLamp and the waterfront. Room was great - fab decor - and the whole hotel had a great hip vibe. Loved the wine hour. Best of all was the pool deck and bar - great views, plenty of space, nice sized pool. Staff were universally pleasant and efficient. Wouldn't hesitate to go back. Only one little thing - we checked in really late (1am) due to a delayed flight from the UK and we had breakfast included in our rate but no one told us on check in we needed to collect vouchers. This caused a little confusion in the restaurant the next day - so if you have breakfast included, make sure you pick them up. The continental breakfast was excellent by the way. Other people have mentioned noise, but we had a room overlooking the busy pool bar, but with the windows closed we couldn't hear a thing. Not cheap,but worth it in our opinion.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OxfordLadieswholunch

Dear OxfordLadiesWhoLunch,

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! I'm also very happy that TripAdvisor feedback is what brought you to our property. We equally value the feedback about our hotel that you find on this site. Apologies for the mishap regarding the breakfast voucher; we'll make sure we reiterate the importance of handing them out to our staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I will keep this short and sweet. The staff was tremendously helpful at this property. The on-site restaurant has a nice atmosphere, and the menu looked to be very original (though I did not eat there). The pool was closed for renovation, unfortunately, but the weather stunk...so it really didn't impact us. The 4th floor rooftop bar had a nice atmosphere and a fun crowd. The location of this property is great...5 minute walk to the ballpark...5 minute walk to the convention center...$7 cab ride to the USS Midway...and any restaurant you would ever want to visit, within 3-5 blocks in all directions. This is a pet friendly hotel, which is fine...but I was wondering how that might impact my stay. There was no impact...no smell...no barking dogs. Just a nice, relaxing subdued vibe. The price, relatively speaking, was very fair as well. Beds were comfortable, and rooms were updated. I was quite pleased with the stay, overall. So convenient, and just plain "Well Done."

2  Thank cmw720

Dear CMW720,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and I also want to thank you for the feedback about the rooftop bar. We are doing some rehab work on our pool, but that should not last any longer than a week. I'm glad to hear that you're also appreciative of the efforts we take to ensure that we're not only a pet friendly hotel but also one that ensures there's not an impact to those that travel without pets. Please come back soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Located a short walk from the convention center but away from all the huge convention hotels. Nice rooms, small but decently equipped gym and a great outdoor pool that was good for laps early in the morning.

Also a great location if you are going to a Padres game. I could see the stadium from my room.

Room Tip: Had a good view from the 10th floor

Dear Goin' Mobile,

I want to thank you for the feedback about our property and great location. We are indeed just a couple of blocks from Petco Park, so now that the Padres are back in town it's been a very fun place to be. Please come back soon and check out a game!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We are Kimpton converts. There is something about the staff that is just outstanding. Even though Solamar is the biggest Kimpton we have stayed at, the staff still treats you like a guest in a small boutique hotel. The woman who welcomed us was both kind, enthusiastic, and wanting to please at every turn. There was some sort of mix up with our reservation through Expedia. We booked a King bed and were given a room with two Queens. When they realized the issue and had not regular King rooms left, they bumped us up to a King Suite at no additional charge! It was practically as big as our condo at home!

The location is awesome too. I heard that San Diego is not well served without a car (which is true if you want to go to La Jolla etc.) but this location leaves many restaurants, shopping, ballpark, etc. within a short walking distance.

The only thing I would recommend at this hotel is that they extend the coffee and tea hour. It ends at 9 AM which is fine if you are there on business but not cool if you are there for a relaxing vacation involving lots of sleeping in! That said, when I groggily arrived at the front desk asking where the tea was, they said I could go get one at the restaurant and just tell them I missed the free service.

The first night I was FREEZING! There were no spare blankets in the closet but when I asked for them they gave me two and the remaining nights I found my bed a cuddly warm comfy oasis!

They just don't miss any opportunity to please at the Kimpton chain.

BTW, I am very sensitive to noise and so was worried when I read another review stating they could hear the people at the pool / bar. Our room was facing the pool / bar but off to the side and there was no noise issue at all. Trust me these San Diego people party all the time so I was worried!! but no...the windows blocked all the noise in our room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarahalta

Dear Sarahalta,

The more converts the better! While I was sorry to hear about the challenge at check in I'm thrilled our wonderful staff jumped in and made it right. Also appreciate the feedback about our AM coffee service. We've been playing around with timing to ensure that everyone is satisfied with the service. We'll continue to tweak it. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.