“A Great San Diego Getaway”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #39 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This great Kimpton hotel is in the heart of San Diego Gaslamp district. Everything is walking distance close. The Kimpton Pet program is what rings us back everytime.. Hotel treats your pets unlike any other hotel in the nation. Highly recommend for stays in San Diego..

Room Tip: San Diego is a vibrant town and has street noise .. high floor rooms are great
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear JaspernRiley,

Thanks for staying with us, we appreciate the kind feedback! Bring the boys back anytime, I know our Bell / Door team enjoyed playing with them! Take care and come back soon.

Hotel Solamar - a very Kimpton Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,097)

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently had an excellent stay recently at Hotel Solomar. Great location downtown and very pet friendly. The front desk staff were great and even watched my dog during our dinner. Wine hour and the gifts in our hotel room at check-in was awesome as well.

Dear Kendall S,

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. My thanks as well for recognizing the work of our wonderful Front Desk team. I'm sure they enjoyed watching your dog for you as well! Please come back soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was my second stay at the Hotel Solamar, and it was every bit as good as my first. The hotel's location is excellent, right in the Gaslamp Quarter, near Petco Park and the convention center. I love the fourth floor pool/bar. The rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable. However, what I like most is the service. The employees are extremely friendly and helpful. Example: I was going to take a taxi up to the Hillcrest neighborhood, and a hotel employee offered to drive me in the hotel's van--and pick me up later, too.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have a little more of a view and tend to be quieter from street noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear JamesAMartin,

What a great review, thanks so much! I truly appreciate your kind words about our Bell staff, they're an amazing group of individuals and we're very happy to have them as part of our team. Thanks again and please come back for visit # 3!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We our Kimpton connoisseurs. This was our first visit to Kimpton Solymar. A great big shout out to the front desk staff. Erika in particular took a ton of time with us to explain the neighborhood, the food options, where to go, where not to go, what she liked, why other people said ... We had less time with Marissa and Trevor, but they were all fantastic and super responsive. A young bunch (or so it seemed to me!) and very enthusiastic. They really made the visit. The hallmark service (we are Kimpton connoisseurs) was there -- everyone acknowledges you, asks how you are, do you need anything etc ...

The accomodations were lovely, we did a slight upgrade to get the jacuzzi bathtub - totally worth it. It wasn't just a plain tub with a few jets, it was a true jacuzzi experience.

Not to be nit-picky ... I wouldn't mention this, but someone else did so it must be a problem: room service was impossible. We called a number of times at different times of day and kept getting a recording saying that they were serving someone else and call back in 15 minutes. They should at least let you leave a message and return your call. We never did wind up achieving room service. One other small glitch was the bar. Bartenders couldn't have been nicer and more accomodating, but the drinks were not Kimpton quality. (We are spoiled by Miami Kimptons where the bartenders know their drink and don't have to look them up) Too much ice, use of mixes. Pool bar was lots of ice and mixes. Problem was solved by treking downstairs buying a drink at the downstairs bar for a bit of an upgrade and treking back upstairs, but I've been spoiled by other Kimpton's quaility beverages and focus on mixology. That said, LOVED LOVED LOVED the fact that they had a Mocktail drink menu.

A great visit, and we are looking forward to our continued experiences with Kimpton.

1  Thank TravellerBrooklyn_NY
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear TravelerBrooklyn_NY,

Thanks for the kind words and constructive criticism! I'm doubly happy in that you're fans of the brand, so you know exactly what to be looking for. I appreciate the kind words about Ericka, Marissa, Trevor and the rest of our team. They're a very special part of our success and I'll make sure that we recognize them. I'm also very grateful for the comments about Room Service. They're a great team and that type of feedback is not the norm of their performance, so we'll make sure that we're staffing appropriately and there's no issues with their phones. We'll also follow up on the bar experience upstairs. It's a favorite place to hang out for both guests and locals, so we want to make sure we're showing our best! Thanks again and please come back soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Overall great hotel--parking expensive (but all of the hotels in this area have expensive parking)... Room comfortable and fairly clean, but mentioned a couple things to management when I was there. There was no dresser/chest of drawers in our room, which I found odd.
Liked the decor and the restaurant.
Important to join their frequent stay club for great deals and upgrades.
Will stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to sound, ask for a room away from Petco field if a game is being played while...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear DaveinAtl,

Glad to hear you'll be back! I appreciate the comments about parking. We want to make sure we're aligned with local pricing of other hotels and found we're right there in the grouping. I also want to thank you for the feedback about the dresser in the rooms. We've gotten that feedback before, so we're going to make sure it gets addressed with any future renovations. Thanks again and come back soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is a very pleasant smaller hotel with comfortable rooms and adequate to good service. I had some problems with the WiFi and getting a lamp repaired, but the room was quiet and I could sleep even though the Gaslamp district was hosting a Mardi Gras event on the street below.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Littenberg,

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate the feedback. I'm also happy to hear that we were responsive to the engineering issues, although I apologize that they impacted your stay. We usually like to catch that stuff before we check you in! Thanks again and come back soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We returned to San Diego and were very pleased to stay again at the Solamar. The staff are excellent, friendly and professional and the rooms are very comfortable. In a good location, walking distance from everything in downtown.
We upgraded at a reasonable cost due to the In touch programme, which I would recommend. Our room had a huge whirlpool bath and separate shower, a really nice start to our trip. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear ASWh,

Great to hear! Thanks for the kind words, I'm thrilled to hear the comments about our staff. They're the true reason of our success so we love when their work is recognized. Thanks again and come back soon.