“Impressive”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #38 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I attended a 2 day class that was hosted at the Hotel Solamar. The class was LONG and I really appreciated staying someplace that was conveniently located, well-appointed and hassle free.
This hotel is located in the Gaslight district. Fantastic restaurants and bars all within walking distance. You can also walk easily to PetCo Park.
Our lunch during the class was served on the 4th floor pool area each day. The food was delicious and iIt was wonderful to be able to be outside enjoying the beautiful San Diego weather in February!
The rooms were nice with comfortable beds. The windows actually open...another plus with the great weather.
I found the staff to be very attentive. They hosted a coffee bar and wine happy hour each day in the lobby.
The only downside was that there was no view of the bay from the hotel. I was on the 6th floor, so there may have been on higher floors. This wasn't a big deal since I was there on business, but if I were on vacation, I would want to see the water.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Schmidkk,

Thanks very much for your review, I appreciate the time you took to outline your experience with us. I'm also grateful for the kind words about our staff, they're a very special group of people! Come back and see us soon,

Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,118)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I met my sister for a long weekend to celebrate her birthday. We chose San Diego because her husband was attending a convention. The hotel location was fantastic, close to the convention center and many wonderful restaurants. We actually did not even miss a car. We even walked to the train one day and took it just to see other areas. The staff at Solamar were so approachable and helpful. My sister found a birthday cupcake in her room left by the wonderful Erica. They made us feel like we were with family. I can't wait to return to a Kimpton hotel. I will be looking for them now when I travel as my first choice. The extras included newspapers, coffeee and tea in the morning, happy hour in the afternoon and truly pet friendly!!!.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for breakfast recommendations. We tried 2 of the 3 that were in walking distance...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Andreasan49,

That's great news to hear, thanks for sharing. Glad you were able to enjoy our city while your family split their time between business and pleasure. Our city is a beautiful one to explore, and frankly, I don't miss my car either! Come back soon and please wish your sister a Happy Birthday from all of us at the Solamar.

Hotel Solamar

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a little 3 day weekend getaway and were both extremely impressed. The location is great! It's very close to all the bars and restaurants you could ever ask for. The hotel itself is very well decorated and the rooms are fantastic. The beds were honestly some of the most comfortable "hotel" beds I've ever stayed in. The $7 bottles of water in the room were a little much. Fortunately, there is a CVS just down the street so you can grab all the water and room beverages you need there. Also, they do free wine tasting each evening, which we usually missed due to other engagements. The best part of this hotel was the Bell-guys. They were so helpful and always willing to offer advice, directions or even rides! We were about to walk to our dinner reservation and the bellman said it was a little bit far away and gave us a ride in their complimentary hotel car. He then handed us a card with their number and told us if we needed a ride later to just call and they would be happy to come pick us up. It was a great touch since a lot of hotels don't give young couples like us the time of day... Anyway, this place was great and I would recommend it to anyone who wanted a nice place to stay in San Diego. Bravo!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jeff F,

Reading your feedback makes my day! We never get tired of hearing compliments about our Bell/Valet team. They're an incredible group of people who care deeply about they do. Come back soon, the water's on me!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Customer Service was excellent. They made me feel very welcome ande very accomodating with all of my needs. It is very conveniently located in the Gaslamp district and was alwking distance to hundreds of restaurants. The staff was very courteous, went out of their way to address my needs and very friendly. I would definately recommend this hotle if you are coming to this area.

Dear Todd K,

Thanks for the kind words! We're so happy to hear the feedback about our wonderful team and the great location of the hotel. Thanks again and come back soon!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here after a Holiday Inn Express and what an upgrade it is. Starting with an excellent check-in experience, we were invited to the free happy hour in the lobby. Chose to visit the 4th floor bar instead, which is very nice with a pool, cabanas and heaters for the cool outdoors. The room was spacious and clean and very modern. The one gripe I have is the lighting in the bathroom. While great ambiance, there wasn't even a light in the shower. At some point there needs to be some function over form. Overall had a very pleasant stay and would definitely return here.

Dear BrewerTraveler,

We would definitely love that! I'm very happy to hear the feedback and glad you made it to our beautiful LoungeSIX on the 4th floor. I'm also grateful for the constructive criticism about the lighting in the bathroom. We're putting together our plans for a major renovation of our product and appreciate any advice on how to make the Solamar an even better place to stay. Thanks again and come back soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Right near the gaslamp quarter. Free internet for Kimpton members (free to join) free wine tastings in the afternoon, free drinks in reception in the morning. Lots of lovely little touches to go with great service and a reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Shosta K,

Appreciate the kind words! Thanks for taking the time to tell us how we're doing. I hope you can make it back to the States soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We recently visited San Diego and stayed at Hotel Solamar. We were immediately impressed and warmly greeted by the valet team. Valet runs $40/night here, however there is parking next door for $25/night-$15 down the street or free on the street parking if you can find it. The venue is warm and inviting and the rooms are nicely appointed. The check in staff is nice as well. If there was one negative it would be that the gym was not very big, but if that isn't your thing than it would not be an issue. I would definitely recommend this location and will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HappyTraveleraz

Dear HappyTravelerAZ,

Thanks so much for the kind words about our Valet team. They're a wonderful group of people and we rely heavily on them as our first impression. The parking across the street is definitely less expensive. We're happy to help store your luggage while you park there and can also recommend some other options. Do be warned that it's an unsecured area and you're unable to get your car from there before 6am. Also appreciate the feedback on the gym space. It's definitely cozy, but we want to make sure any time in there is well spent so we're working on some improvements in there over the upcoming year. Hopefully you'll be back soon to see them!