“Very good stay”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #41 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The room was very clean and nicely decorated. The hotel has an excellent location in the downtown area, in the border of the historic "gaslamp" quarter, a few minutes walk from the convention center. The staff were polite and helpful. The complementary coffee / tea / hot chocolate in the mornings helped starting the day properly. I tried their restaurant, JSix, for breakfast, and it was pretty good.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ami123
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Ami123,

Thanks very much for the comments, we truly appreciate it when someone gives us a chance and likes what they see. Have a great winter and we hope to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Solamar Hotel

Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you're in San Diego, you can't stay any place else but Hotel Solamar! It is a beautiful hotel, located in the Gas Lamp area, near PetCo Park and the convention center. The staff is amazing and accommodating, the rooms are clean, beautifully decorated, and spacious with wonderful views of the city. When asking, you can usually get a room upgrade free of charge. I love the wine and cheese in the afternoon. The pool area is phenomenal, perfect for a swim or a cocktail with friends. It is not the Ritz Carlton, but we love the warmth and friendliness so much more! If you have a pet, it is even pet friendly on certain floors! We have tried many places for our get away weekends, and this is our all-time favorite!

Room Tip: The King Corner Room with the jacuzzi tube is awesome!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Orla M
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Orla M,

Thanks for sharing your kind feedback! It's always a pleasure to hear, especially when it's a loyal friend of our hotel. Please come back soon!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

It's a Kimpton hotel, so I knew I was going to like it. I upgraded my room to a suite, so that I had a bath with the city view. I love how Kimpton is a eco conscious hotel. Decor was super cool as expected and of course, the staff was excellent! They were helpful and friendly.

1  Thank placestogothingstodo
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear PlacesToGoThingsToDo,

Thanks we love it too!

We're happy you enjoyed yourself and noted our Eco friendly programs and policies. We put an enormous amount of work into compliance with the Kimpton brand programs and are very proud of the difference we're making! Please come back and see us soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Great downtown hotel in a clean, historic location. Staff is superb!!! Rooms are clean and comfortable with contemporary decor. Very comfortable bed and sheets; all in pristine white. They recycle! Can be somewhat noisy, but it's downtown. If parking on the premises overnight it's $$$. Bring your own soap if you like to use bars and not liquid. My travel companion, in another room, and myself would have preferred better lighting in the bathroom for shaving or applying make-up even though there was a, non-lighted, wall mounted vanity mirror.

Room Tip: Call the night before your arrival and request the "best view", or other preferences, for...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GridironTravel

Dear GridironTravel,

Appreciate the kind words about your stay with us. I also want to thank you for the constructive criticism on the property. It's all great feedback and very helpful to us as we move forward. Thanks again and come back soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed in this hotel on our 5th anniversary trip to California in November of 2012.

Much like other Kimpton properties, this hotel goes above and beyond to make you feel welcomed.

Super friendly staff and a perfect location in the gaslamp district. I was very happy with my stay, and particularly was fond of the Director of Pet Relations, Bear the Dog, who keeps watch by the front desk. He was a treat as I missed my Westie back home in DC.

Again, super staff, and large room. My only complaint was the view, which overlooked a roofline. I would have preferred a higher floor, but in hindsight, it was not a deal killer. I would stay again, and have almost exclusively stayed in kimptons as a result of my continued happiness with my stay, and customer satisfaction.

Room Tip: higher rooms may have better view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JABDCJAB

Dear JabDCJab,

Thanks the the review! I'm also glad to see you got a chance to meet Bear, our resident Director of Pet Relations. For those of you whom have not had the pleasure he's a Bichon who acts as our FD mascot. He spends a lot of his time at the desk welcoming our guests, so please come by and meet him!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was in town apartment hunting, and stayed over the weekend with my girlfriend. I previously signed up as an InTouch member for the free WiFi. Upon arrival, check-in was a breeze and we were upgraded to a suite. We got up there, and were greeted with a complimentary bottle of wine. That's a good start, no?
The room decor was fun and beachy while being professional, and avoiding any kitcshiness. The washroom was spotless, and the jacuzzi-tub was great. The bed was a little rigid when I initially flopped down on it, but after getting settled in, it was great. I haven't had this much trouble getting out of a bed since I stayed at the W in Montreal.
Wine hour was lovely, and we took advantage of the mulled cider rather than the wine. It's one thing that they do this at all Kimpton hotels, but it's another thing when they go the extra distance and offer something seasonal.
We had breakfast at the Jsix restaurant twice. It was all great, and at a decent price point. The chilaquiles were awesome, and the granola&yogurt was great. The granola was actually more filling than the chilaquiles, so if you're looking for a meal that'll let you skip lunch...
The staff was exceptional, and were really handy in recommending restaurants or helping us find a gas station. Erica was our favorite, as she was bubbly and truly happy to help. Everyone was all smiles, and that goes a long way in making for a comfortable stay.
In addition, there's a lot of little things that this hotel does to make its guest feel comfortable. Being pet friendly is nice when you're enjoying the social aspect of wine hour and there's a puppy roaming about. There's visible eco-friendly tips. There's no Bible in the drawer, which was a change.

It was my second stay here, and I'll continue to recommend Hotel Solamar to anyone that comes to San Diego. I'll probably even check out other Kimpton hotels regardless of what city they're in.

4  Thank RWGene

Dear RWGene,

Thanks for the detailed review, I really appreciate the time you took to outline your experience with us. I'm also very happy about the comments you had for our great team. They're such a big part of our success and we're thrilled when their work gets recognized. Thanks again and please come back soon.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is my 3rd Kimpton hotel to stay with. I have to admit this hotel out did the others!

Staff was just amazing. Even the valets had great personality, friendly, and definitely there to please.

I did not eat at the hotel and only had one glass of wine in the bar so really can't speak to them.

The room was priced well...very well. Valet service was $40 a day but the lot across the street was $25 (and not sure you had in and out ability).

Don't forget to sign up for the Kimpton InTouch. It's free. You get free wi-fi and I got upgraded to a suite.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Kimpton InTouch before making the reservation. You could get upgraded to a suite (l...
1  Thank Radford S

Dear AtlCycle,

Thanks for the review and the kind words, very happy you had a good time! I also appreciate the tip regarding Kimpton InTouch. It's a great program and the benefits make it a very good option if you join us regularly. Thanks again and please come back soon.