“Wonderful hotel!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Diego, California
“Wonderful hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was in town apartment hunting, and stayed over the weekend with my girlfriend. I previously signed up as an InTouch member for the free WiFi. Upon arrival, check-in was a breeze and we were upgraded to a suite. We got up there, and were greeted with a complimentary bottle of wine. That's a good start, no?
The room decor was fun and beachy while being professional, and avoiding any kitcshiness. The washroom was spotless, and the jacuzzi-tub was great. The bed was a little rigid when I initially flopped down on it, but after getting settled in, it was great. I haven't had this much trouble getting out of a bed since I stayed at the W in Montreal.
Wine hour was lovely, and we took advantage of the mulled cider rather than the wine. It's one thing that they do this at all Kimpton hotels, but it's another thing when they go the extra distance and offer something seasonal.
We had breakfast at the Jsix restaurant twice. It was all great, and at a decent price point. The chilaquiles were awesome, and the granola&yogurt was great. The granola was actually more filling than the chilaquiles, so if you're looking for a meal that'll let you skip lunch...
The staff was exceptional, and were really handy in recommending restaurants or helping us find a gas station. Erica was our favorite, as she was bubbly and truly happy to help. Everyone was all smiles, and that goes a long way in making for a comfortable stay.
In addition, there's a lot of little things that this hotel does to make its guest feel comfortable. Being pet friendly is nice when you're enjoying the social aspect of wine hour and there's a puppy roaming about. There's visible eco-friendly tips. There's no Bible in the drawer, which was a change.

It was my second stay here, and I'll continue to recommend Hotel Solamar to anyone that comes to San Diego. I'll probably even check out other Kimpton hotels regardless of what city they're in.

4 Thank RWGene
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear RWGene,

Thanks for the detailed review, I really appreciate the time you took to outline your experience with us. I'm also very happy about the comments you had for our great team. They're such a big part of our success and we're thrilled when their work gets recognized. Thanks again and please come back soon.

Hotel Solamar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is my 3rd Kimpton hotel to stay with. I have to admit this hotel out did the others!

Staff was just amazing. Even the valets had great personality, friendly, and definitely there to please.

I did not eat at the hotel and only had one glass of wine in the bar so really can't speak to them.

The room was priced well...very well. Valet service was $40 a day but the lot across the street was $25 (and not sure you had in and out ability).

Don't forget to sign up for the Kimpton InTouch. It's free. You get free wi-fi and I got upgraded to a suite.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Kimpton InTouch before making the reservation. You could get upgraded to a suite (l...
1 Thank Radford S
Dear AtlCycle,

Thanks for the review and the kind words, very happy you had a good time! I also appreciate the tip regarding Kimpton InTouch. It's a great program and the benefits make it a very good option if you join us regularly. Thanks again and please come back soon.

West Hollywood, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

It seems like at every turn this hotel is just one step short. Paid the extra $$ for a suite. The best part was a wine tasting run by an outside company in the Lobby in the evening. It seemed like the room we slept in had not been used in some time -- Towels were crusty -- The pool was nice but felt like a prisoner always having to dig for the room Key to get in and out -- Not sure anyone would call what they consider a gym a gym. The hotel room was one robe short and that was fixed quite quickly -- no big deal -- it happens -- Room service, which we pre-ordered the night before, was a delivered right before the 9 AM cutoff (selected the delivery between 8:30 - 9:00 AM on the sheet) just calling when it arrived -- sans the bagel for the Salmon and cream cheese -- again -- corrected without fanfare -- decided to hit the free Coffee bar on the way out for some Hot chocolate and Coffee but were all empty by 9:30 with no sign of anyone manning a refill -- I'm a 1% er and unlikely to consider this property ever again at all -- It seemed more like a Holiday Inn Hotel priced at Four Seasons rates --

Room Tip: Thinks someplace else ---
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Prpleace,

Thanks for the comments and sorry we let you down! I appreciate the feedback and would love to speak with you further about your experience. It's our goal to be the best loved hotel in San Diego, but we'll never get there until we learn from every time we fail. Feel free in reaching out at 619.819.9500.

Best,

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I believe that this cute hotel had one of the best group of staff I've encountered in a long time. They had a "can do" friendly attitude. Everything I asked for I got. I wanted a balcony, so, because they had availability, they gave me a room on the fourth floor, which is the pool deck floor, gym floor, and the pet floor (the only floor with "balconies") that had a huge patio. It was great. I asked for a coffee maker and they brought one (although they do have free coffee in the mornings in the lobby - a really nice set-up that include hot chocolate with real chocolate shavings). Late check out? No problem. Extra rack for your luggage, here you go. Room service was amazingly fast and one morning when I was in a hurry, he had forgot to grab the check, so he just comped my oatmeal.

The only things to be aware of are the gym is very small and has 1 treadmill, 1 elliptical, 1 stair stepper and 2 bikes. Both mornings I worked out people were either on them already or waiting on me. A lot of people from eastern time zones are up early in CA, so they all work out, which is why this is a bit of an issue if you are a workout person. I also had a room with a connecting door to the next room. All was quiet because no one was in that room until my last night and then someone checked into it. I could clearly hear him on the phone or watching TV mainly because of the connecting door. Luckily he went to bed early. The other weird thing that happened was the cleaning person in my room moved my glasses and then laid them down on the lenses, so they got scratched. I didn't notice the scratches until later, so I haven't talked with the hotel at all, but be careful where you leave things in your room. I did notice the glasses were folded and laying lens side down on the counter, not how I left them for sure!

They also recommended a nearby nail salon but it was a pretty sad manicure I ended up with. It was only 15 bucks, but I'll end up redoing them today, which is 2 days later. I didn't try the in-service mani/pedi they apparently offer on site, but there is not a salon or spa in the actual property. They come to your room to do it if you ask.

The hotel is well located with restaurants and shops right there. They also have a nice little free happy hour with wine and this time of year a hot toddy that knocked our socks off. The lobby and pool deck were nice and had fireplaces and cozy seating areas. The pool deck had fire pits too, but I never saw them lit - it was a bit chilly while we were there, so no one was really out there too much. It would be really neat out there if it was a bit warmer and those fire pits were lit. If you join Kimpton's award program you get free internet throughout the hotel, including your room (and it was fast and good) and also a $10 credit in your mini bar, which had a great selection.

I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DallasGal646
Dear DallasGal646,

Love the detail! We're thrilled that you enjoyed yourself and I truly appreciate the kind words about our staff. We're incredibly lucky to be working with them. Apologies for the issue with your glasses, reach out to us and we'll see what we can do. Please come back and join us soon; we'll make sure we've got a fire pit lit for you!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hotel Solamar is a good choice if you are staying in Downtown San Diego. Front desk, valet staff, and the bartenders at the lounge were exceptional. The rooms are beginning to show their wear-and-tear a bit, but overall this hotel provides a nice stay. Good location in the Gaslamp Quarter. Tons of shops, restaurants, and clubs just one street over. It is also right next to the ballpark if you are looking to take in a game. My main complaint is that the overnight valet is very expensive. I believe it was $40 a night! The food at Jsix is very good, but the service was a bit slow.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Live2Travel222,

Glad you enjoyed yourself and appreciate the constructive criticism on where we can grow. I'm happy to let you know that we're in the beginning stages of planning a refresh for our property over the upcoming year so we're very excited about the new Solamar to come. Thanks again and I hope you're back soon to see it.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I am new to the Kimpton hotel group but having recently stayed in the canary Santa Barbara and now this one in San Diego I would seek them out on future trips. They manage to be efficient like a business hotel but relaxed and design conscious enough to also be somewhere you would choose for a holiday.

This particular hotel is well located close to the water and near the buzzy gas lamp area - ideal for exploring San Diego. It has a lovely lounge area with a fire which is perfect for enjoying during the complementary wine hour. It also has a fabulous roof top pool and bar which looks like it would be great for parties in the summer. The restaurant, JSix is also surprisingly good. We had some superb pasta there and enjoyed sitting at the bar chatting to the staff. Like would definitely return.

Dear Emma F,

We're happy to have helped convert you to the Kimpton brand! The Canary is a phenomenal hotel, and we're very proud to mentioned with them. Please come back soon,

San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and two kids under 6 stayed for two nights midweek. First, join Kimpton b/c its free and there are member benefits. Free wireless, newspaper, a goldfish for your kids, yoga mats - probably more.

The pool is warm and clean and lovely.

The staff was warm and helpful.

you can walk to the USS Midway and seaport village take the trolley to old town, take the bus to the zoo, and you are right in the middle of the gaslamp district.

the rooms is lovely and well appointed and I the mini bar was fantastic.

we will return and I am telling my friends.

Room Tip: the pool area becomes a nightclub on the weekend, so if you don't want to be kept awake get a ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear 111Patricia,

Glad you enjoyed it and I'm especially happy to hear that your kids enjoyed themselves too. We're very proud to be as inclusive to families as we are known for cutting edge design and great cuisine. Come back soon and bring the kids; we recently got Radio Flyer wagons for families to use with their little ones.