“Brilliant location in a gorgeous city!”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #41 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ireland
“Brilliant location in a gorgeous city!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights to end my honeymoon and I wasn't disappointed. We were in a 5 star Vegas hotel before coming here so we had to compare, but you can't really compare these hotels. For this city this is a great hotel. The location is fantastic on 6th, close to all bars and restaurants on 5th and 4th. San Diego is a brilliant, quirky destination, just like this hotel. A pet friendly hotel, where else wud u find it! We were on a pet free floor though and our room was surely a pet free zone always.
On check in the lady behind the desk was very relaxed, but so helpful, not the usual over the top fake friendliness that hotel guests sometimes experience Lots of Relevent info and help was given.
The room itself was fine, like I said we had just come from Vegas! I do think its a little pricey but u pay for the location and so it was worth it.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank JayneyMcIreland
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear JayneyMcIreland,

Thanks very much for joining us and congratulations on your wedding! We're always quite honored to have someone trust us with a milestone memory. Come back for your first Anniversary!

Hotel Solamar - a Kimpton Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
California
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Call me spoiled. My recent stay at te Solamar left me flat. After reading the reviews here especially the ones where credit challenged guests were upgraded to suites(?????). It leaves me rethinking my lodging choices in San Diego. As a Kimpton Inner Circle Member, I guess I've come to expect more. No negatives for the property. Clean room and nice staff. The Solamar needs to show some love to the Inner Circle.

Stayed December 2012
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Cabogolf19,

Your loyalty means everything to us and we're very sorry to have let you down! Please contact me at the hotel at your earliest convenience so we can work to restore your trust.

Hotel Solamar
Tustin, California
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Greeted by friendly and helpful valet parking staff. Just missed the complimentary wine hour upon arrival, however at check-in, the friendly staff member gave us vouchers for a free glass of wine in the attached restaurant. My room was a King Suite, with large living area, fully stocked "honor" bar. Large king bedroom and attached bathroom with giant whirlpool tub. Attached private patio was a bonus.

Super clean, comfortable, modern, friendly. Location is close to convention center and Gaslamp district.

My only complaint is $40.00/night parking after paying $250/night for my room.

Room Tip: Loved room #403
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Greg C
Dear Greg C,

Thanks for staying with us and Happy New Year! Hope to see you back in 2013, we'll have room 403 waiting!

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed December 30, 2012

How have I never stayed at a Kimpton Property before? This place was awesome.

1. Spacious room including a large bathroom with cool giant whirlpool tub. Decor was sort of modern with hint of cool farmhouse ... the bathroom had a opening around the big tub so that you could sit in the tub and watch TV in the room. For privacy there was a white sliding wood door that closed off this open from the room (hence the country part - just looked this way against the blue wall). Also, no worries the bathroom also had a regular door for entering/exiting.

2. Amazing perks - Became an in-touch member (free) when I made my reservation and benefited from the free WiFi (decent speed too). Wine hour at night and complementary coffee/tea/hot cocoa in the lobby in them morning. Newspaper also came with my room and ample copies in the lobby.

3. Fantastic staff - Gentleman at the front desk who processed my check-in was working many of the nights during my stay. He always addressed me by name as I passed through the lobby and asked if I needed anything. During my stay I had two random requests (superglue for a broken piece of jewelry and tape for a package I needed to ship) -- the staff at the front desk was promptly able to help with both of these requests and didn't act like they were being "put out" by doing so... they seemed genuinely happy to help.

Hotel Solamar may have converted me into a Kimpton convert ... I will certainly look for this brand when booking any future trips.

PS - It is also pet friendly for those who want to travel with Fido. Although it didn't matter to me either way -- I ended up on a pet-free floor and am sure those who are more pet-averse can inquire about rooms on these floors.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank klekolo
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Klelolo,

Thanks for the detail, we really appreciate the time you took to let us know how we're doing. We're excited that we've converted you to Kimpton! Come back and see us again and have a wonderful holiday season from all of us at the Solamar.

Hotel Solamar
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

This boutique hotel has a beautiful and elegant living room -like lobby where they apparently have a free wine hour from 5-6 (we just missed it!). The rooms are stylish and interesting, with great perks like a wet bar and microbrews in the mini bar. The hotel is right in the gas lamp district, just a couple of blocks from the ballpark and the trolley line. My only complaint was that the thermostat automatically reverted from what I set it to, to 72 degrees, twice. Once was in the middle of the night and I had to change it because I was sleeping with a down comforter and got too hot. This makes me grumpy.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Dinglefloyd
Dear Dinglefloyd,

Thanks for joining us! Appreciate the kind words about our beautiful hotel. Apologies for the frustration with the thermostat. It's a special energy efficient model that will hibernate if it doesn't sense someone is in the room. Currently it goes into sleep mode if no one moves for two hours. We'll get it changed to four hours. This should correct the issue. Thanks again and come back soon, hopefully you'll make it to Wine Hour.

San Mateo, California
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I really really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Solamar! First and foremost, they had a 12-12-12 deal where you pay $12 for overnight parking, normally $40, $12 food and beverage credit, $12 In Room credit for minibar or movies, 20% off best available rate of deluxe accomodations. From the moment I got there, I was impressed. The pictures online looked like what I saw in person. Joseph checked me in and I had some issues with my credit card so he did a workaround to get an approval for the amount of the room, plus tax, less the incidentals and I had to pay $50 cash for the incidental deposit. Approved and checked in!!! He also said that he would upgrade my spa corner room to a suite for FREE! Needless to say I was so excited because I was celebrating a special night, which I had not even mentioned when making my reservations...so this was a very special treat! The room was great! I really enjoyed the jacuzzi bath. It was HUGE! although I couldn't find the buttons to turn on the jets but regardless I enjoyed soaking in that tub. I ordered room service and asked if they had chocolate covered strawberries and 2 champagne flutes. He said no chocolate covered strawberries and sounded sad that he couldn't provide that for me. However, when he arrived, I was extemely surprised to see them on the tray. He said I sounded like I was doing something special so he made them up for me. I was so happy! They are my favorite dessert!!! We also made small talk about the music I had playing in the background. All of the staff that I ran into at this hotel seemed very personable and easy to talk to...a lot like me so it was nice that this evening was turning out to be much more than I had expected. My only fault was not spending more time there...but I will be back!

Room Tip: Suite was amazing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra L
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Sandra,

Wow, what a wonderful review! Thanks for celebrating with us; we're always honored when someone trusts a milestone event in their lives with us. We also really appreciate the kind works about Joseph, he always goes the extra mile! Come back and see us soon.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is very clean and beautiful hotel, but I would say it's rather for the yong people.
The famous Gaslamp qurter is a few minutes walk from the hotel, so no need to think about the dinner tonight.
Our room was the highest floor and we could see the Petco Park from the room !
we could enjoy some wines and other beverages at the lobby.

The lobby and the living room (near the lobby) was very beautiful and artistic.
Also the room is very clean and comfortable, there are lots of drinks and foods at the mini bar.
You should try animal-print bathrobe if you visit this hotel !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hannigan, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear cocohoisam,

What a great review, thanks so much for joining us! I'm happy you made it to our famous Wine Hour and that you enjoyed our leopard robes. Next time combine both and come to wine hour in the robe! That happens pretty regularly actually and we love it. Thanks again and come see us soon.