“loved the solamar”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #38 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 26, 2008

last year for the dreaded 50th birthday, i was fortunate enough to be able to stay at hotel solamar.
from the minute we arrived i just knew it was going to be a fabulous weekend. the room was great, the bathroom was uber clean and swank. we wasted no time in heading to the pool bar, where we were served by a cheerful and helpful barman. as the sun went down the pool bar area morphed into a very pleasant rooftop lounge bar. it was extremely relaxing and only served to fill me with anticipation of what was to come. sun,swimming,
lazing by the pool all day, plenty of available refeshments just a few short steps from my cabana poolside ,to the bar ,where you would be served almost anything your heart desires, witha smile i might add!
and if that wasnt enough, a free wine tasting in the lobby at 5pm each evening was there for the taking.
beautiful surroundings, relaxing atmosphere, whats not to love?
i hope to be able to return to solamar in the near future and enjoy a repeat performance. thank you for helping to make the big 5 o a positive one. lili in tucson

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank solamarfan
Write a ReviewReviews (2,118)

Reviewed March 24, 2008

Great place - clean and friendly. This is a pet friendly hotel - so we brought along our dog. Petco park is 1 block down and they have a leash-free dog park which was great for free-time and potty-time for our doggie.

The pool was heated and nice. Not a ton of seating - but enough to get by. Seems like a younger crowd when we were there, but everyone was friendly and loved our toddler. They have a complimentary wine hour in the evening and coffee in the morning.

Overall - a great stay. Right in downtown - close to EVERYTHING - especially the stadium if you go for a Padres game.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Zacloed1
Reviewed March 23, 2008

The room was beautiful, overlooking the pool area. Unfortunately, we were not warned that they run a nightclub on weekends, and play load dance music until 2:00 am. The next morning we requested our room be changed to a room away from the pool area. They moved us, but downsized us to a smaller, less delux room.

2  Thank She_laughs
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Normally we avoid hotel restaurants but hearing good reviews we gave it a try. It was nothing short of exceptional! If you don't go to JSix you're missing out. Hotel is nicely done, rooms are comtemporary and it's a matter of taste. Free internet and complimenary wine are nice features. The pool and bar area with the firepits is a nice touch....very cosmopolitian in feel.

Reviewed March 20, 2008

I arrived from London tired, dirty and braindead. I was in San Diego for a meeting and was booked into the nearby Omni for all but the first night. Lucky me that I had one night in the Solamar! Check in was easy-peasy and was upgraded to a luxury room (just because!). The room was wonderful - bedding comfortable, bathroom spacious, and the (free) wireless was superfast. The next morning I ordered breakfast from room service (egg white omelet with spinach and mushrooms) and it was quick and delicious. Check out was simple and they even pointed the way to the Omni down the street (the Omni was perfectly fine... but paled in comparison to the Solamar).

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Dixie_in_UK
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I stayed at Hotel Solamar for a work meeting. I am a Kimpton fan and was looking forward to checking out a new (for me) property. My assessment - Solamar is good, but a little shy of great.

The front desk staff was quite friendly during check in, which was first thing in the morning (while I was trying to listen to a conference call). Quick and efficient. And later quite helpful when I needed to print out my boarding pass for the next morning (see below).

My room was nice, not unexpected nor dissimilar from other Kimptons. Free wireless, which was actually fast. Overall good space for working and relaxing. And an ourdoor seating area to boot.

Public space was fine. We had a group dinner by the pool (which is on the 4th floor), which was great. Nice, though partially blocked, views. Attentive service. Food was even good.

So why not great? A few nits:

My room was right by the pool bar, which was loud until around midnight. Probably my fault for not asking to be moved.

The workout room was 24 hour access, but one needed to be let in before 7 am. Why? "Security reasons", although the room is on the 4th floor. And I managed to lock myself outside after my workout, requiring me to find a side elevator and reenter the hotel via the restaurant because there are no phones outside.

I went into the business center to print my boarding pass. They wanted $12 to access the Internet, even though wireless is free throughout the hotel. Again, the front desk staff was more than happy to comply.

Morning coffee service (6 am in the lobby) never appeared.

I would stay there again. In fact debating booking a room for the family so we can see a Padres game this summer as well as play in one of our favorite California big cities. But I'd go in knowing what the downsides are.

2  Thank Spamstan
Reviewed March 4, 2008

My girlfriend and I planned a girls' weekend in SD and we enjoyed our stay at this hotel very much. The only glitch was that I had called in advance to request a room with double beds and the receptionist confirmed, but when we checked in the following day they said that if you book through hotwire you only get the option of a room with a king bed.

The hotel is nicely decorated and very clean. It is a non-smoking hotel. We don't like pets but pets are allowed at this hotel, they have managed to keep it very clean and odor-free. Our room was very clean and also nicely decorated. And the very best of all, they have a nightly wine hour with your choice of red or white wine.

Location is great. The immediate surrounding area isn't really pretty..a parking lot and some empty commerical buildings but within walking distance to Gaslamp, the Marina, the ball park, and Horton Plaza. Plenty of restuarants and bars near by to keep you entertained.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Aurorabo