“Prime Location, Fantastic Rooms, Excellent Service”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #37 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had not been to San Diego for several years, long before the new ball park and east village renovation. I was curious to see the park and how things had changed since I moved away. This hotel is in the heart of the excitement of the gaslamp district. I was sad to arrive in October and the Padres not be in the playoffs, because the ball park is a mere two blocks away. I will definitely be staying here again during baseball season. The pool is on the fourth floor and gives you that feeling of exclusion from the hustle and bustle of the city. The poolside bar and cabana's are a nice way to host an evening party with the city, pool and building lights all around. The staff at the hotel were very attentive to any needs that I had, none! The garage parking made me feel that my truck was safe while I was staying here and the staff had it down to me in moments of my request. The King Corner Spa room is well worth the additional expense. The spa is large enough for two adults and the shower is equally as large. I will be staying here again!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Eric M, Director of Sales at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

You said it all very well!!! Thank you so much for your visit and your feedback. I agree, those King Spa corner rooms are amazing. Looking forward to your return. Thanks again

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had booked in to stay here for one week, but within hours we were already planning our escape.
Arriving at check-in we were told that our room wasn't ready but that we could wait at the bar. We were told they'd call when the room was ready or that we should come back in an hour (4pm) if we hadn't heard from them...
So checking the bags, off we went. What greeted us was like something from an early American Pie movie. A ferral frat party exploded in and around the pool. For a no smoking hotel, the pool area was thick with smoke, semi naked people everywhere and a bar staff that ignored us for near on 30 mins.
We booked a week downtown so that we could see all that San Diego had to offer and relax by the pool on some days. There was no chance of that happening! You couldn't get near the people let alone relax by it. It was a truly horrific seeing people try to read a book as hordes cavorted, drank and made out in and around the pool. Relax? Fat chance!
So we went back to the front desk at 4.15 to see if our room was ready. It wasn't.
So when would it be?
They didn't know.
Could they tell us?
Could they find out?
Did we really want them to do that?
Er yes... If the room was to be hours, we'd go for a walk. If it was minutes away we'd wait.
We sat down and waited for an answer for 20 minutes. Whereupon we were told it was finally ready.
The room itself was lovely. Small, but spotless, well equipped and very comfortable. Waiting for us also was a lovely tray of dips and flatbreads to welcome us. It was then we began to wonder if perhaps, this had just been a bad first impression. Everyone has bad days! So maybe, just maybe... it would get better.
It was shortly after we started on the dips that a letter came under our door, informing us that the pool and bar were closed the next day from 4pm for a function. Not only that but the day after the pool and bar were only partially available as a result of a wedding!
So our vacation downtown with it's wonderful pool were out of bounds after 4pm, as the hotel was more concerned with its other paying guests.
It was at that point I used the room phone to call and ask about cancelling our reservation. A call for which we were charged long distanced call rates!
The mind was made up - we're off! We had been told by some locals prior to arriving at The Solamar "we give you two nights there." We din't know what they meant before hand - but we did that night.
The room may have been nice, but frankly what's the point of going to a hotel where you can't access the very facilities you are paying to use? It's a breath taking cheek for the hotel to do that - what if that had been your one night away? Instead they advised us to ask for suggestions on what we could do instead of use the pool. I was tempted to ask: "Where can I go for a swim where I have already paid to use the facility?" But I realised there would be no point.
So I went down to front desk (hopeful they wouldn't charge me for the conversation) and asked if we could leave. The thing that struck me, wasn't his shock at the request - rather that he didn't seem at all surprised.
The noise from the pool was noticeable, but we were on the 10th floor and so it wasn't an issue. I can't begin to imagine what it was like lower down.
So all in all very disappointed. I had looked forward to visiting this hotel for months and was gutted when I saw what was on offer. I would not go back and unless you are a 20-something pool dweller who loves beer and has a hearing impairment or with a convention that has booked the place out, I'd advise you to avoid it too.
If you're planning to visit San Diego, stay at the Hotel La Jolla instead. Now THAT'S a hotel. Everyone at the Solamar should go and see how it's really done.

Room Tip: The tenth floor is quieter than most as it's further away from the noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

It sounds like we missed the mark on quite a few things throughout your stay. My apologies. I am thrilled that you found Hotel La Jolla (our sister hotel) to be more your to your liking and your style. They do a great job over there as well.

Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to be in the centre of everything in the Gaslamp. We stayed for a week and thought it was one of the most comfortable places we've ever stayed in. Free coffee and newspapers in the morning and free wine in the evening was a lovely touch. Some other reviews have mentioned noise but we had no problems at all, we were at the back overlooking Petco Park. The rooms are very spacious with gorgeous toiletries. The pool is nice but they definitely need more staff at the bar up there, there was only one person working there any time we went up and it took forever to get a drink. All of the other staff we dealt with were very helpful. If I'm lucky enough to go back to San Diego in the future I will definitely stay at the Solamar.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thanks for your great review! I will definitely speak with the LoungeSix team to make sure we have more than enough staff up there during busy times to accommodates our guests drink requests more efficiently, particularly during those busy summer weeks. We hope to see you back with us in the future.

I may actually be in your Country soon enough, as I'm hoping to get out there in the Spring. :)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at this hotel. Found in in good condition with upgrades throughout. We were disappointed with the limited drawer space in the room (one small night table drawer) and bathroom lighting was poor.

Noise from the pool was not bad but found the pool on several days to have drinks, plates and dirty towels left lying around most of the day. Pretty nasty.

Staff was friendly, nightly wine sample was a plus and close to restaurants was great. The bed overall was comfortable and the bedroom had a large flatscreen TV. Overall good but for the price paid, it should have been better than average.

Room Tip: Pick a higher room farther from the pool for less noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MontanaRS

Thanks for your review and your visit to Solamar. The drawer space in some of our guestrooms will be improving in 2013 as we will be adding a chest of drawers to each of our rooms. We strive for continual improvement, so your feedback is appreciated. Thanks again.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Not only did we enjoy the room, complimentary wine, and stylish ambiance - but the staff who worked here were uniformly friendly, helpful & energetic. My husband & I have never stayed anywhere like this- the employees were great! Had a great stay, we'd recommend it highly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CopperCenterGal

This is what I LOVE to hear!!! Our team understands clearly that your experience here at Solamar truly depends on our people and the attention and friendliness they provide. I will certainly share this review with the entire team here, and thank them for a job well done.

Thank you for your vist and for your review.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during a conference; otherwise we might not have stayed in the gaslamp district. Laid back hotel with a very friendly staff. They gave my wife good tips on going to Coronado while I was at the conference. Very close to good restaurants and night life. Room was very clean and comfortable. Pool area and bar was very relaxing.

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked the pool. Very good!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

I like "Different in a good way".... as that's truly what we try to be. Solamar and Kimpton are different than your average Hotel experience, so I'm thrilled that it shined through to you and your wife. Thank you!

In the Dallas area we have Hotel Palomar and Hotel Lumen, so if you are ever in the area there, check them out too. Thanks again for your stay, and we hope to see you back again.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I loved this property. I was here for a week and have no complaints...not even noise. I expected to be disturbed a bit because it is in the Gaslamp District, but I didn't experience any problems at all.
The room was large and very nicely furnished. It was comfortable, the bed a dream! Housekeeping was thorough and prompt. The common areas of the hotel were very attractively decorated. And the Kimpton service level is unequaled. Great attitudes and very positive experiences each time I had contact with them.
I really enjoyed the evening wine hour, it was not crowded or uncomfortable and several of the wines were excellent.
The guest lounge on the Fourth Floor with a view of the city is absolutely fantastic. I sat up there in the mornings with my coffee and in the evenings it was the perfect place to enjoy a cold drink and a view of sunset.
Loved the hotel.

Room Tip: the higher floors are the quietest/
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

You said so many things that are right on the mark..... so the only left to say for me is THANK YOU!!!! :)