“Nice hotel but not far from great.”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #37 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at this hotel. Found in in good condition with upgrades throughout. We were disappointed with the limited drawer space in the room (one small night table drawer) and bathroom lighting was poor.

Noise from the pool was not bad but found the pool on several days to have drinks, plates and dirty towels left lying around most of the day. Pretty nasty.

Staff was friendly, nightly wine sample was a plus and close to restaurants was great. The bed overall was comfortable and the bedroom had a large flatscreen TV. Overall good but for the price paid, it should have been better than average.

Room Tip: Pick a higher room farther from the pool for less noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MontanaRS
Eric M, Director of Sales at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thanks for your review and your visit to Solamar. The drawer space in some of our guestrooms will be improving in 2013 as we will be adding a chest of drawers to each of our rooms. We strive for continual improvement, so your feedback is appreciated. Thanks again.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Not only did we enjoy the room, complimentary wine, and stylish ambiance - but the staff who worked here were uniformly friendly, helpful & energetic. My husband & I have never stayed anywhere like this- the employees were great! Had a great stay, we'd recommend it highly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CopperCenterGal

This is what I LOVE to hear!!! Our team understands clearly that your experience here at Solamar truly depends on our people and the attention and friendliness they provide. I will certainly share this review with the entire team here, and thank them for a job well done.

Thank you for your vist and for your review.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during a conference; otherwise we might not have stayed in the gaslamp district. Laid back hotel with a very friendly staff. They gave my wife good tips on going to Coronado while I was at the conference. Very close to good restaurants and night life. Room was very clean and comfortable. Pool area and bar was very relaxing.

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked the pool. Very good!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

I like "Different in a good way".... as that's truly what we try to be. Solamar and Kimpton are different than your average Hotel experience, so I'm thrilled that it shined through to you and your wife. Thank you!

In the Dallas area we have Hotel Palomar and Hotel Lumen, so if you are ever in the area there, check them out too. Thanks again for your stay, and we hope to see you back again.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I loved this property. I was here for a week and have no complaints...not even noise. I expected to be disturbed a bit because it is in the Gaslamp District, but I didn't experience any problems at all.
The room was large and very nicely furnished. It was comfortable, the bed a dream! Housekeeping was thorough and prompt. The common areas of the hotel were very attractively decorated. And the Kimpton service level is unequaled. Great attitudes and very positive experiences each time I had contact with them.
I really enjoyed the evening wine hour, it was not crowded or uncomfortable and several of the wines were excellent.
The guest lounge on the Fourth Floor with a view of the city is absolutely fantastic. I sat up there in the mornings with my coffee and in the evenings it was the perfect place to enjoy a cold drink and a view of sunset.
Loved the hotel.

Room Tip: the higher floors are the quietest/
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

You said so many things that are right on the mark..... so the only left to say for me is THANK YOU!!!! :)

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just arrived home after a month in the states. Our last stop was San Diego. We stayed at the Solomar and were delighted with our room. It was just lovely. The day at reception was wonderful. We were early but she had a room ready so we were allowed to book straight in. Fabulous. She was also a fantastic tour guide. She gave us a map and drew lines to ths place and that, and also marked things like the 7/11 store! Very helpful indeed. Thank you. Also, this same lady advised us that we could stay and make use of the pool and hotel on our last day, as we had to check out of our room by 12pm. They looked after our luggage in a secure room and we could enjoy the rest of the day, since our flight didn't leave till 8.05pm. This made for a lovely, restful last day. The hotel bar was lovely, and the restaurant too. Breakfast was great, plenty of choice and all the staff great. Our room was lovely with an amazing mini bar and tray full of delights to eat! Not too expensive as mini bars go. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great location in the Gaslamp Area, right in the middle of everything, but just a short stroll to the beautiful quayside.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor which is great, overlooking the pool on the west side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank weelynn

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I enjoyed reading your review and I even learned a new word today from it. "Quayside".

Hopefully San Diego will be in your future again at some point.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here in September 2012 for a few nights. We were on a free roll on the company's dime, otherwise I definitely wouldn't have stayed in the Gaslamp area. Leave the area to those 21-30 year olds. No matter where you stay in the area, the rooftop nightclubs will keep you awake at night.

This is a nice property, but might be trying a little too hard to be one of the in crowd. The coolness of the hotel was clearly only skin deep.

I give them bonus points for a free and very fast wi-fi connection in the room.

If you're okay with the Gaslamp area, I doubt you'll be disappointed with this hotel choice.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Eric M, Director of Sales at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Hi Cybeerkeg.... thanks for staying with us and for your review. Hope you had some fun in the Gaslamp while you were here at least. It's certainly a fun area, with lots to do and great restaurants. Hopefully you got a chance to explore. Thanks again.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We loved this hotel. The service was great and the rooms beautifully appointed in a 'beachy' style. It is only 2 blocks from the Gaslamp part of town which makes it very convenient for dining out. We would stay here again if we come back to San Diego.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Eric M, Director of Sales at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Coming from beautiful Australia, I'm happy that we were able to impress you during your visit. I hope you got to throughly enjoy the city.... yet if not, you'll need to come back for more! :)

Thanks so much for staying with us at Solamar.