“Great place, great location”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #42 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bradford England
“Great place, great location”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This was our final destination on our trip down the Pacific Coast Highway and I was pleasantly surprised. I am not sure what I had expected but after some wonderful stays in B&B's I thought this would be a rather soulless city centre hotel. I was wrong. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was very smart, with a great bathroom attached, and the bed was comfortable.
We were on the 9th floor (pet free) and had good views of Petco Park, although the Padres weren't doing very well when we were there!!
The pool area (on the fourth floor) was inviting and we spent a lovely afternoon just soaking up the sun around the small heated pool.
We didn't breakfast in the hotel, although you could. We walked one block to "The Broken Yolk" cafe every morning. You must give this place a try, its a great place to start your day. Lovely staff, great food, and a never ending supply of coffee ( a novelty for us Brits!)
All in all, this was a very pleasant experience, and I wouldn't hesitate to try another Kimpton Hotel if this is the standard they achieve.
P.S. The free glass of wine at 5.00pm was great too!!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool area on 4th floor are a bit quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkDibellaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Pleasantly Surprised Guest –
Surprise – we’re not your typical downtown hotel and I am delighted that you found your stay so positive – we love to see our guests happy. Sounds like you took advantage of most of our perks. We’d love to report that the Padres are doing better but alas, not yet. At least we always have our signature San Diego weather on tap!
Cheers,
Mark Dibella,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
phoenix
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I booked this hotel "accidentally" through Priceline with the name your price option. I go on there sometimes and enter a really low price for a 4 or 5 star hotel in a place I'd like to go, this was the first time it actually worked. I originally booked 2 nights but my wife thought that was too short and added another night at the same price. I had never heard of Hotel Solamar or kimpton before (I'm usually a Marriott person), but I really enjoyed our stay. This hotel is in a great location and is within easy walking distance to many restaurants, stores, and attractions. The beds are comfortable (a bit noisy when you'd get in/out or roll over) and the rooms are very well appointed. The view from our 10th floor room was pretty great. We could see the bay and it overlooked the pool on the 4th floor. My 2 year old son enjoyed looking out the window in the morning and watching all of the delivery trucks making their morning runs. I took the advice of one of the reviewers on here and signed up for their InTouch rewards program before I left. It didn't get me an upgrade (they said they were booked), but I did get free wi-fi and got to "raid the minibar". The heated pool was great as was lounging in one of the cabanas. We stayed during the week so we didn't have the weekend crowds. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The only downside was the parking. $40+tips per night to valet. Other hotels in the area were about the same price. Neighboring lots were about $25 for overnight parking, or if you could find a place on the street, it was free between 6pm and 8am and 1.25/hour during the day. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others, especially if you don't have a car.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank elitetravelerPhoenix
MarkDibellaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Awesome Guest!

We’re so happy that you found us and that you also joined Kimpton in Touch; we hope to earn your loyalty with our over 55 cool and unique properties. Thanks for extending another night at Solamar – it definitely means you were enjoying yourself. Check out our specials and packages direct on our website; some even offer parking discounts.

Best regards,

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed here for business during an industry convention. The lobby was nice and modern, but dark.

We had a nice room. The only real issue was the Jacuzzi bath, which had a window that required you to step into the Jacuzzi each time you wanted to close the curtains. I love taking baths, but did not want to use this tub since I stepped into each night to close the curtains.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear LV Guest,

Sounds like you had one of our Masters Suites with a window in front of the spa tub; they are pretty romantic with awesome city views but do take an extra step if you want to close it off for privacy. Next time check out our signature spa king rooms; same cool jetted tub but not in front of a window.

Best regards,

New York
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have stayed at the Solamar a number of times and each times is better tha the last. It is in a great location in the Gas Lamp, close to where the Padres play . The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, beds are great, rooms are very clean, bathroom is nice. The pool bar is a nice place to wind down although it can get windy.

Make sure to join the Kimpton loyalty program even if you are going just once as it gives you free internet, free drink coupons, and a couple of other things.

There is also a nice breakfast place a block down (although I have forgotten the name). When leaving the hotel turn left and it is on the next block.

Only sort of negative is the expensive valet parking biut I guess that is at all of the San Diego hotels downtown.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MikeFromNY418
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here for a 2 night girls weekend and it did not disappoint!! From the moment we arrived the service was 5 star. We just stayed in the standard room with 2 Queens beds and it was so nice, new, and modern. The location of the hotel is the best! You are in walking distance from all the Gaslamp Restaurants and Shops, Petco is right around the corner, and the Zoo is a 2 minute drive. I have stayed at many hotels in the Gaslamp and I will be returning to the Solamar!

Also, if you are traveling with a dog this seems to be the place to stay. Such cute dog amentities and adorable welcome sign out front. Can't wait to bring my little Jack Russell here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
New York City
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've stayed in several San Diego hotels but normally near the convention center- this was my first time staying in the Gaslamp area. Our group checked in late to a welcoming, receptive staff but when I got to my room it had a distinct odor of rotten eggs! I called down, and within five minutes a staff member came up with keys for a new room who took one whiff, confirmed my dislike about the odor, and apologized for the inconvenience. I was transferred from the 9th floor to a similar area on the 5th floor directly overlooking the pool area where a lively bar/pool party seemed to be in full swing. The noise was not troublesome to me at all, and I got a great night's sleep. I was up early for a trip to Coronado and the following morning to head back to the airport.

I love the hotel's green initiative, funky interior design, the original local artwork on the walls, the room amenities, and the coffee, tea, and iced lemon water available in the lobby. I saw the hotel is animal friendly and I was happy to see this, but more happy that I didn't hear or experience any animal noise or disruptions during my stay. I had brief but warm experiences with all the staff at the hotel, and I'm sad I wasn't there to take advantage of their wine hour, something I would have enjoyed greatly!

The hotel is located in the middle of all the action- close to theatre, sporting arenas, and surrounded by restaurants and clubs. It can get loud in the evenings and weekend, but that was never a distraction. We had a great dinner at Donovan's Steak House, a three minute walk from the hotel.

I would certainly consider staying at the Hotel Solamar again, and if you like an active nightlife, this is a perfect hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for the inner/poolside view if you like nightlife, be specific if any noise bothers you as some...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank YaleDad
Dear Cool Guest;

I am delighted that our “funky” design and great amenities made your trip a great stay. Thank you for the compliments on our teams quick efforts for a room change as well. Next time make sure you take advantage of our nightly wine hour reception – it is great way to start your evening!

Cheers,

East Coast
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Great staff, fantastic rooms, and they offer a government rate (I probably should selfishly keep that fact to myself). Trust the reviews when they tell you to ask for a room on the upper floors. I forgot and was on the 4th floor (which is really 2nd or 3rd?) and had my window blocked by the back of a poolside cabana.

The restaurant was fantastic, too. I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in SD.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business