“I want to live in a Kimpton Hotel”

Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Ranked #42 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“I want to live in a Kimpton Hotel”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We had our wedding reception in a Kimpton Hotel in Cambridge Ma, and wanted to stay in one when traveling to San Diego. I love that the hotels are boutique in decor and warm, not cold like so many. Also, they are dog friendly--big plus! The hotel was in a great location, very clean, and the food at the restaurant for breakfast was great. Our room was spacious and cleaned and Do Not Disturb signs were respected. We didn't want our room cleaned so early in the morning. The front desk was helpful as well. Two things: The coffee in the morning stops being served 15-20 mins before the end time, and they have one woman working this station, which they probably need 2. Also, the hotel room's windows really really needed washing! Other than that, it was an amazing trip and time. The front desk was helpful, it can get hectic if there are lots of guests waiting, but everyone was kind and professional.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkDibellaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Hello New York - New York!

And from coast to coast we have plenty of Kimpton Hotels to live in - thank you.

I am very delighted to know that you enjoyed our sunny San Diego Hotel and the surrounding area; even more pleased that your Kimpton experiences continue to grow. We are so pleased to have you as a loyal guest.

We agree, the windows are in need of attention and with our rainy season ending we have actually scheduled our our spring window cleaning beginning April 25th - clear views will be on the horizon very soon!

Thank you again for your great comments and again for choosing the Solamar and Kimpton Hotels.

Cheers -

Mark Dibella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
milpitas
Reviewed April 12, 2011

This was the first time at Kimpton's Solamar Hotel. I booked online under the Sun and Sea internet special which gave me $30 to spend anywhere in the Hotel ranging from in-suite dining/room service to valet parking. As a Kimpton In-Touch member (sign up is Free), i also received a $10 credit to the "Honor Bar" which is the snack and mini-fridge menu.

Coming from San Francisco, it was a long drive. I was met by very courteous and attentive valet parking staff. After tipping the valet to take care of my car $5, i was assisted by the bell hop Garrett, who was very friendly and polite. A nice gal name Katie, who had greeted me and checked me in at the Front Desk, had fulfilled by request for a Corner Spa Suite, which when Garrett and i had unloaded my things at the room, was an excellent Corner Unit to say the least. After tipping Garrett $5 for his kind and professional help, I took a tour of the unit. The views were 180 degrees, 9 floors up (10 floors total in this Kimpton) and excellent looking into Petco Park, where the San Diego Padres play home games. There was a roar from the crowds as i was unpacking, as someone from the Padres had just hit a homerun after the 7th inning stretch. Of course, if you could imagine, there were bars around the park next to the Kimpton. There was the Fleetwood and the Bub, right outside the corner suite where you could look down and see the patrons. So if you want a quiet room, either close the windows (you couldn't hear any noise if you shut the windows of this unit and used the A/C) or request a Corner Suite on the other side of the hall.

The Corner Suite was spacious and richly appointed. There was a nice, big soaking tub, which was jetted as well. I actually used this Spa jet tub at the end of the night and it just put me to sleep right after. One of the best sleeps i'd enjoyed in a long time. The reason: the beds. These beds like most Kimptons are the most enjoyable beds to sleep on. They are just the right amount of firmness and super clean and fresh smelling. There was a HDTV LCD for viewing enjoyment, a DVD player, liquers available, wine, champagne, Organic cookies, nuts, etc.

These Kimptons are inviting and well-thought out. Efficient. Value. Superb service and hospitality at the right value-oriented price point. At least that is the impression i get every time i book and leave a Kimpton. I leave feeling i got a good deal, a wonderful experience, and wanting to book again anytime i'm in a City that has a Kimpton. In fact, that's what i do these days.

The Hotel Solamar is one of the most luxurious Kimptons i've booked. The lobby is just spectacular. As with every Kimpton i've stayed at, there was a wine reception hour from 5-6pm. This reception at the Solamar was superb as usual. My female counterpart was extremely delighted.

I wholeheartedly recommend yet another Kimpton. The Kimpton Solamar's staff will impress, and once you see the interior decor and stay in the comfortable rooms you will wonder why you only had to pay so little for all of it. By far, of any other hotel chain i've stayed at, the best pound-for-pound all-around deal for its price.

These Kimptons are going to devour other hotel chains in this Recession. They will come out of this Recession as a top hotel chain, and to be perfect honest, i think they deserve to me. This benchmark of excellence should apply to all hotels.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Kimpton's site for the Best Rate Guarantee.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank surplusmarketing
Nottingham, UK
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We've stayed in other Kimpton hotels and although this one was good, it wasn't as good. Location is perfect - right in the heart of the Gaslamp, and the rooms and facilities were ok. But staff weren't as friendly in other Kimptons we've stayed in.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed April 7, 2011

i have to confence i was in this hotel on nov 2009 , but i recently joined tripadvisor.
i went to the hotel with my father, and as much time i had in the hotle ile say that it's beautifull, has a very chick mood.
the rooms are very well decorated and very modern.
the servise of the hotel was very very good and helpfull, for example i went early in the morning to the pool and without a second past i got a towel and i got a bottle of water.
the pool lounge is very good and very fun.
i wish i had more time to enjoy the hotel , but i can say it's one of the best iv'e been too.
p.s it's close to everyware and it above a few great nught spots.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Seriously. I'm a big fan of the Ritz-Carlton concierge level. This hotel was truly fun. From the leopard-print robes to the rubber ducky in the ginormous jetted tub, the rooms have it all. I booked a spa king room -- it was large, clean (even for a total germ-o-phobe), and beautifully appointed. I loved the slider that covered the opening to the bath area.

Staff is friendly, helpful, and made me feel like I was a family member. No creepy, over-the-top "It's my pleasure."

The hosted social hour was so fun -- people actually hanging out meeting each other, engaging in conversation, and even a dog made an appearance! I've never experienced such a comfortable atmosphere.

I was traveling here for a conference -- a single woman -- and I always felt safe. Convention center is an easy easy easy walk.

YES. I would totally stay here again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Hazelhurst, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We recently stayed for a week at the Hotel Solamar. We were very impressed with the hotel and especially the employees. The desk staff and valets went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed ourselves and answered all questions we had. They also helped set us up with a rental Jeep as well as gave us their personal #'s in case we got lost. The rooms and hotel was very clean, nicely decorated and very comfortable. The outdoor bar/lounge was relaxing and fun. The staff definitely helped make the hotel stand out. I highly recommend the Hotel Solamar.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Long Island, New York,Usa
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed two nights at the Hotel Solamar. Our room was ready even though we arrived early and the staff throughout our visit was friendly and very helpful.Great location in the Gaslamp District . Free wine tasting in the evening and free coffee and newspaper in the lobby in the morning were a bonus.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkDibellaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Hello Long Island Guest -

And thank you for the rave reviews on our hotel and especially our staff. I was happy to see that we were able to check you in earlier than normal and that the extra perks of our hotel made a positive difference in your stay - we strive to be more personal and in touch.

Aside from a great experience our goal is to have you back again - thank you for selecting Solamar and we'll see you soon.

Best regards,