“Balboa Park gem.”

The Prado at Balboa Park
Reserve with OpenTable
The Prado at Balboa Park is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 4,870 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th Avenue
Description: Set in the rich landscape of finely manicured gardens, the Prado Restaurant is located at the historic House of Hospitality in the center of San Diego's famous Balboa Park.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

On our visit to Balboa Park, we were told to try the Prado Restaurant, and it did not disappoint. The setting is beautiful inside and out. It was a little dark in the restaurant at night, but it is spacious and we were not crowded by other tables nearby. The service was great and the menu covered most dining choices. The real reason I am writing this review is because of the Slow Roasted Pork Prime Rib!!! I had never heard of this before, and was assured by our waiter, that it was delicious. I must say it was one of the most tender, juicy and perfect pieces of meat of any kind I have ever tasted. I don't know where pork prime rib has been all of my life, and whether I will have to return to Prado to enjoy it again, but I can still taste it 4 months later. I have been in many restaurants since, and have never seen it on any menu in NJ, NYC, Florida, Paris, etc. Don't miss this great meal if you are in or near San Diego.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Sometimes, everything works out wonderfully. My wife and I have struck gold two times at The Prado. Firstly, having a scenic view of Balboa Park is a nice start. We were seated immediately. The wait staff is friendly and quick to make recommendations. The food is scrumptious and there is a nice selections of liquid refreshments. The layout of the outdoor restaurant works fine. Anytime we go to Balboa, we shall stop at Prado.

1  Thank Misheidi
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Nice location and decor but a very busy restaurant. Pisco sour was outstanding but the food wasn't that impressive given the high prices. Service was also very slow.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Eat in the Bar. It's a beautiful space. Lots of tables, lots of wait staff. Perfect for a meal before or after an Old Globe performance. We've been there when the park was full of people at some festival, and we've never had trouble getting in.

The restaurant's full menu is not available in the bar, but there is a good assortment of mid-day food and even larger menu for evening fare. This is not typical bar food. Salads are different and super. Try the flat breads with all kinds of toppings. Deep fried green beans - really, try them.

There's more than the bar. Want a formal white-table-cloth lunch or dinner, it's there. Want a really fine outdoor patio with shade trees, it's there too. A hidden gem in Balboa Park.

1  Thank Tom F
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We greatfully stumbled upon this super cute place for lunch. We waited for them to open and were quickly escorted to the back patio that looked like something out of a movie! Simply beautiful! Atmosphere was wonderful and we probably wouldn't have cared if the food was good or bad to be honest! Food was great though! We ordered a pitcher of Sangria (only $2 more dollars than 2 single glasses), steak sandwich and wedge salad. It was all wonderful! Must go here if in Balboa Park/San Diego.