“Omakase surprise”

Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Reviewed September 9, 2016 via mobile

Frankly, I'm jaded when it comes to food. It is rare that I experience something new and special, AND delicious. We ordered the omakase, and each course was deceivingly simple, yet complex. Everything was delicate, without being overdone, precious or froufrou. A joy for the senses!

Date of visit: September 2016
Write a reviewReviews (860)

Reviewed August 26, 2016

I had lunch at Sushi Ota. Surprisingly there were tables free as they are usually packed. I think its because of their high prices. The food is great and I enjoyed my unagi bowl and some sushi. However I am thinking to find an alternative that is not so expensive.

Reviewed August 22, 2016 via mobile

I am a chef and very seldom review other restaurants online. We tried to get in for a late dinner on our first night visiting San Diego on vacation and found ourselves out of luck because the restaurant was so busy even though it was a Sunday night. We made reservations for Monday yet had to wait 15 minutes when we arrived on time. The restaurant was very lively and bustling even though it was a Monday. I must say it was well worth the wait the service was attentive and friendly but what really stood out was the fantastic sushi especially the "Monday night roll", of which we ordered three because it was so excellent. The quality of the fish is excellent and the preparations are precise and well-balanced. Though not inexpensive dinner was well worth the tariff. I do not think I have ever eaten better in San Diego. My daughter and I are big sushi aficionados but even my wife who is a sushi agnostic was and enamored with our dinner! Make sure you make reservations but do not miss this truly excellent restaurant!

2  Thank Leone P
Reviewed August 19, 2016 via mobile

Service was fantastic. Food was delicious. Get the tuna bluefin, crunchy salmon roll, protein roll. They even brought out a delicious cherry ice cream for my buddy, Brant's Birthday.

1  Thank paddytubz
Reviewed August 6, 2016 via mobile

You can tell a Japanese restaurant is good by 2 small details - high volume/turnaround so the fish is always fresh, and a Japanese staff, which is getting very rare nowadays in sushi restaurants. Sushi Ota has both. Even it's simpler dish exalts excellence. Basically, anything you order will be brought with perfection. Just don't get to excited as the bill can come a little expensive, but you will notice that it was all worth it. Thank you!!!!!