“One of the best Japanese restaurants in California!!!!”
Review of Sushi Ota

Sushi Ota
Ranked #10 of 5,204 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Reviewed August 6, 2016 via mobile

You can tell a Japanese restaurant is good by 2 small details - high volume/turnaround so the fish is always fresh, and a Japanese staff, which is getting very rare nowadays in sushi restaurants. Sushi Ota has both. Even it's simpler dish exalts excellence. Basically, anything you order will be brought with perfection. Just don't get to excited as the bill can come a little expensive, but you will notice that it was all worth it. Thank you!!!!!

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (860)

Reviewed August 6, 2016 via mobile

One of the best sushi places I've visited. When reading reviews of sushi restaurants on the quality of "rolls" as some have tried to do for this establishment, keep in mind that is the equivalent of judging the quality of wine based on what that wine tastes like in sangria. The sushi and fish here is top notch.

Date of visit: January 2016
1  Thank Steve L
Reviewed July 29, 2016 via mobile

My first time back in years. We got there right at 530 as we had no reservation and they fit us in. My daughter had the tasty chicken teriyaki and I had the sushi - including the off the menu Double double tuna that is beyond heaven. Clean, perfect service, best sushi in San Diego and probably So Cal. Make reservations - we were lucky - you won't want to miss the chance to eat here.

Reviewed July 25, 2016

This was a fabulous dining experience, so much so that although I tried my damndest to remember what we ordered, I was in a food coma once the miso soup arrived in step with the edamame and the Kirin. Maybe the sunburn from a day spent at the 29th street Del Mar beach expanse contributed a little to the coma but in all fairness I lay the blame squarely at the restaurant's doorstep. The service was spot-on, at our elbows filling beer, removing empty plates and bowls but never intrusive. The place was alive, even though we arrive a snap short of the hour the kitchen closes. The atmosphere was lively, plenty of couples on dates, large tables sprawling with families. If in the neighborhood and craving some good sushi at reasonable (for CA of course, ahem) prices, book a spot at Sushi Ota. Do not skip the miso soup. I repeat: Do not skip the miso soup.

2  Thank aniruhil
Reviewed July 16, 2016 via mobile

It was all I wanted it to be. The Wagu terriayki beef is to be savored. The sushi is fresh and well done. It is tucked away from the street and the staff is very attentive.