“Best sushi I've had in my life!”
Review of Sushi Ota

Sushi Ota
Ranked #4 of 4,834 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

OH MY. This sushi was literally amazing. Words cannot describe how fresh the fish is. It literally melts in your mouth. This was the most delicious sushi I've had in over 10 years of eating sushi regularly !!! It's a must, highly recommend !!!

There are newer reviews for Sushi Ota

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Living in the middle sushi land aka L.A./Studio City area and having traveled to Japan and eating great sushi, I have to say that I liked the sushi and it was very good but the staff could be a little more gracious. Definitely not the best that I have eaten but good. Not worth having to wait two days for a reservation. They're pieces are not "huge" like written in another review. They are a fair size. I'm sure that there must be other restaurants that are equal or better than Sushi Ota in the San Diego area.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We dined at Sushi Ota and loved it!! We had the Omakase (leave it to the chef) appetizers, and had delicious lobsters and uni as starters, followed by great sushi!! It's just amazing to see how popular this place is too, being that location seems to be in the middle of nowhere. But if you've tasted the food, you'll know why people come here. We are from Japan, the home of great sushi, and found this place to be excellent!! Definitely will recommend to friends, as well as go back for more!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I don't know if it's a Japanese thing, if it's unique to Sushi Ota personnel, or if success has ruined their hostess staff -- but getting a reservation and getting service once seating at the restaurant seems to be an afterthought at this place. Unfortunate, because the quality of the food and the imaginative presentation set this place way, way above your average sushi restaurant.

No one comes here for the ambiance. The "decor" is mini-mall. And crowded.

I see some other reviewers have made comparison to Harney Sushi in Old Town. We dined at both restaurants within 3 days. My take: Sushi Ota has better food, and Harney Sushi has better service and decor. Pricing is about the same -- perhaps slightly higher at Harney Sushi.

So I'd give Sushi Ota a full 5 stars if they'd make the dining experience equal to the excellence of their food.

PS Don't even think of coming here without a reservation.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We've been coming here for many years. Sushi Ota is consistently ranked as THE best sushi bar in town and one of the best in the country. The fish is absolutely wonderful, the freshest you can get here. On our last visit I had sashimi and it was to die for -- tasted like the fish was just out of the water. DIL and toddler granddaughter shared a cooked salmon dish, after granddaughter pilaged her grandfather's sushi plate. The 3 year old knows how to eat!
The restaurant is in an out of the way small strip mall nestled among car dealerships, but I would never fail to recommend it to anyone wanting top notch sushi.