“Want great sushi? This is the place!!”
Review of Sushi Ota

Sushi Ota
Ranked #4 of 4,773 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Tokyoi
“Want great sushi? This is the place!!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We dined at Sushi Ota and loved it!! We had the Omakase (leave it to the chef) appetizers, and had delicious lobsters and uni as starters, followed by great sushi!! It's just amazing to see how popular this place is too, being that location seems to be in the middle of nowhere. But if you've tasted the food, you'll know why people come here. We are from Japan, the home of great sushi, and found this place to be excellent!! Definitely will recommend to friends, as well as go back for more!

• Visited July 2013

San Diego, California
“Service could be better, but as good sushi as I've ever had”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I don't know if it's a Japanese thing, if it's unique to Sushi Ota personnel, or if success has ruined their hostess staff -- but getting a reservation and getting service once seating at the restaurant seems to be an afterthought at this place. Unfortunate, because the quality of the food and the imaginative presentation set this place way, way above your average sushi restaurant.

No one comes here for the ambiance. The "decor" is mini-mall. And crowded.

I see some other reviewers have made comparison to Harney Sushi in Old Town. We dined at both restaurants within 3 days. My take: Sushi Ota has better food, and Harney Sushi has better service and decor. Pricing is about the same -- perhaps slightly higher at Harney Sushi.

So I'd give Sushi Ota a full 5 stars if they'd make the dining experience equal to the excellence of their food.

PS Don't even think of coming here without a reservation.

• Visited June 2013
“The Best in Town”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We've been coming here for many years. Sushi Ota is consistently ranked as THE best sushi bar in town and one of the best in the country. The fish is absolutely wonderful, the freshest you can get here. On our last visit I had sashimi and it was to die for -- tasted like the fish was just out of the water. DIL and toddler granddaughter shared a cooked salmon dish, after granddaughter pilaged her grandfather's sushi plate. The 3 year old knows how to eat!
The restaurant is in an out of the way small strip mall nestled among car dealerships, but I would never fail to recommend it to anyone wanting top notch sushi.

• Visited March 2013
Eugene, Oregon
“A wonderful surprise”
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

In a small strip mall of off white stucco with a 7/11 as its anchor shop Ota Sushi unexpectedly hides its treasures. The initial fishy smell worried me when I first arrived. The miso soup arrived withe the most finely cut scallions I had ever seen. I knew I was in good hands. The mighty staff behind the counter move swiftly to carry out orders and they are committed to excellence. I was compelled booked a table for tonight before I left yesterday.

• Visited June 2013
“Get your sushi fix”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I love this place. They have this Sashimi sampler platter that is to die for. If your new to the world of sushi, don't pass up on the sea eel sashimi, its excellent. 5 out of 5

Visited January 2013

Been to Sushi Ota? Share your experiences!