WINNER WONDERLAND

Sushi Ota
Ranked #5 of 4,608 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Eugene, Oregon
“A wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

In a small strip mall of off white stucco with a 7/11 as its anchor shop Ota Sushi unexpectedly hides its treasures. The initial fishy smell worried me when I first arrived. The miso soup arrived withe the most finely cut scallions I had ever seen. I knew I was in good hands. The mighty staff behind the counter move swiftly to carry out orders and they are committed to excellence. I was compelled booked a table for tonight before I left yesterday.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Get your sushi fix”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I love this place. They have this Sashimi sampler platter that is to die for. If your new to the world of sushi, don't pass up on the sea eel sashimi, its excellent. 5 out of 5

Visited January 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Local Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

In a small nondescript strip mall, surprised to find such quality. Lovely decor, excellent food, decent service. The person I sat next to mentioned she travels miles just to come there, because it's the best around. And they obviously have a local following.

Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
“Authentic..not for westerners looking for cheap sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you LOVE sushi...REAL sushi this is it!! You won't find California rolls here (nor should you) this is an authentic experience. Sashimi is so tender. The hospitality second to none. You don't have to ask for fresh wasabi here, it's on your plate. If you are unsure about what a dish is, the staff is helpful. It's well priced but, well worth it!!!

Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

A couple of weeks back, I made a reservation for my birthday for 7 people. I found out a few days later that more people would be joining us, so I called and asked to increase the reservation to 12. Without skipping a beat, Keiko (I believe her name was) said that it is not possible to increase a reservation past 7.

So I asked her:
Why not? How many people can you accommodate in your restaurant? Are there bookings full for 5PM? She wouldn't give me a clear answer.

So, my boyfriend called and made a separate reservation for 5 people (in order to make up the difference). My full party got there on my birthday, and we got there early. Keiko came outside and started asking people if they had reservations and if they said "No", she would say, "Oh, we can seat you, but you have to be gone by 6" WTF?! REALLY?

She came up to us, and we said, "We have two reservations, can we sit next to each other?" while pointing out the long bench and tables that could perfectly sit 12 people. And she said it was not possible to move the tables, they had to stay in their places, and we couldn't sit next to each other, we had to sit in different rooms. The HELL?! I just want us to be able to SIT next to each other! She walked past us after that like we were yesterday's trash, completely unwilling to meet us half way.

It is completely possible to sit 12 people next to each other. If it were another group of 7, and then another group of 5 came along, they would eventually sit them next to each other, no problem. If it's a problem with a waitress being over burdened, get two waitresses to serve us!!! It's not rocket science!

Sushi Ota is just a really good sushi bar that has gotten rave reviews on their food, so they (or Keiko) don't give a CRAP about making 12 people mad, since they figure that they are going to make that money anyway, and just toss them aside. They are lazy and don't want to meet people half way to give decent customer service. If making a reservation for 7+ people is a problem, they need to say so on their automated directory, or someone needs to say "Okay, but we can't increase that later, is that okay?" But I don't think that is really the case.

Good thing I made a back up reservation at Harney Sushi in Old Town, they are excellent.

I will NOT be coming back here based on the "Customer Service" that I received this evening.

• Visited May 2013