“Ruths Steak”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #149 of 4,987 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Excellent food, location & service, couldnt really fault anything & adjacent to the Wyndham bayside 3 mins way right on the front Embarcadaro.

1  Thank James B

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I selected Ruth Chris downtown San Diego to enjoy a great steak dinner with my family for my birthday dinner. Well the only good aspect of the dinner I can share with you was the service; our waiter Raphael was great but the rest left a lot to be desired. Where do I begin? In the case of my daughter she likes a well done filet. OK that is her choice, but not a style for most of us, but when her steak was served it was cooked medium. We sent it back. The second time it was medium well (still pink) so we sent it back again and finally it was done right. It took three times (about 20 minutes) to finally get it right all the while the rest of us just waited with our food in front of us for her steak to be prepared as requested. I would thing a mature, very high end steak house would understand how to cook a well done steak (please learn to butterfly a filet).

The sides of roasted tomatoes and mushrooms were down right boring. No flavor, no seasoning, no nothing. I can roast better tomatoes at home. The mushrooms were also very average at best just a lot of very large buttons (the cheapest variety by the way). You would think you could add some creminis, shiitakes or oysters for the price we paid. How about some seasoning? Then for my birthday celebration I was finally rewarded with……. “nothing”. Wow I sure enjoyed an over priced steak dinner at Ruth Chris for my birthday dinner that I would not wish upon a friendly tourist traveling to San Diego for a great vacation dinner. Sorry “Uncle Teddy” (local sportscaster who promotes Ruth Chris) your testimonial is down right wrong. I should have gone to my usual favorite steak house – Flemmings; I would have enjoyed my meal a whole lot more. Beware travelers to San Diego!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Great food and great view of the bay made for a perfect evening. Went for the steak, stayed for the view!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We came to this restaurant for a special occasion on a cold night. We were seated at an excellent table with a view of the harbor. Service was efficient throughout the night. The chopped salad was excellent as always. But unfortunately, our meat orders were cooked improperly. The filet mignon ordered medium was rare and the lamb chops ordered pink were bloody and cold. We sent the items back but all the restaurant did was throw these back in the oven and cook them until hard and tough like hockey pucks. You would think for these prices a restaurant would cook replacement meats. Also, you would think at a steak house the kitchen could cook steaks as ordered to the liking of the customers. We did receive a free cheesecake and gin and tonic for the trouble. However, the second gin and tonic was $14 which was horrific considering the miniscule amount of alcohol in the beverage. The Manager came by but was nervous and really did not know what to say. With all of the choices for steaks in San Diego, I will go to other venues before returning here.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This must be one of the best steak houses I have visited, size of the steaks and the quality of the whole meal was a truly memorable time.I am an ex restaurant owner from the U.K. so I have served a few steaks in my time and I know whats good and right on the doorstep of the hotel

1  Thank MARILYN639

Been to Ruth's Chris Steak House? Share your experiences!