“Can't wait to return to San Diego to go to Phuong Trang for Pho”

Phuong Trang Restaurant
Ranked #712 of 4,768 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Can't wait to return to San Diego to go to Phuong Trang for Pho”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We love Vietnamese food and their Pho is better than any we had in Hanoi. Their spring rools and Vietnamese pancakes are also excellent. We haven't tried too many other things because these are so good that we keep ordering them. We just got back to San Diego and will be going there tonight.

• Visited February 2014

Perth Amboy, New Jersey
“Delicious with a side of great service!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

A friend who lived in San Diego for a few years recommended for us to eat here while in the SD area. He told us that there was a big Vietnamese community in the area a Vietnamese food was a must-have. I must say that compared to what we have had in New Jersey and New York, this definitely was elevated!

We started with the DIY appetizer rice paper rolls which we did not have on the menu back home. They came with pickled daikon and carrots which I love. (What a great business idea...make your patrons do all the labor!) our server gave us a quick intro on how to assemble it, but all kidding aside, it was tasty and fun to eat. I was even complimented by our server on my summer roll skills! I ordered a bowl of pho and my husband tried the rice and chicken for a different change of pace and shared. The pho broth was flavorful but not too assertive. Delicious standard flavor profile. When my husband's chicken came out, our server suggested that he dip is chicken in the fish sauce. The chicken was delicious on its own, but with the fish sauce, it turned phenomenal. Never would have figured fish sauce to go with roast chicken. The best part? After our excellent meal, our check was less than $30!

Dallas, TX
“Delicious vietnamese food in a run down location”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Wander off the beaten path for some great Vietnamese food, especially if you are looking for a menu that goes beyond the usual Pho. I started with first rate Salty Fried Shrimp (shells on) as an appetizer followed by Sugarcane Shrimp and Grilled Pork - both dishes to be wrapped (by the diner) in rice paper with vegetables. The Salty Fried Shrimp and the Grilled Pork were both top notch. The sugarcane shrimp was good, but not served on the sugarcane which is our preference. Prepare to share as the portions were much larger than expected.

The location is in an old, not very attractive strip shopping center on Convoy St - not an attractive neighborhood and not near tourist attractions. However, the service was efficient and friendly.

Los Angeles, California
“A good Vietnamese Restaurant.”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This place was busy, usually packed. However, their service was quite good and fast. We did not wait long. We ordered Hot-Pot Seafood & Meat, a mistake. It's plain, not tasted. Crispy Chicken Egg Roll was a standard. Shrimp Spring Rolls were, however, a disappointment: not much shrimp you can appreciate and the dipping peanut sauce was plain.

San Diego, California
“Delicious Vietnamese Food”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went to Phuong Trang after a hike on a Sunday. I had heard great things from numerous people who go to my gym so it's been on my list of places to try for awhile. I'm so glad I finally went!

I went with a group of 3 guys who were all ravenous so we ordered a bunch of food to share family style. We got fried egg rolls, Beef Cube Steak with Fried Rice, Chicken with Lemongrass and Hot Pepper, Pork Spare Ribs Sautéed in Fish Sauce, and Garlic Butter Wings. The beef cube steak came with fried rice and the other entrees came with white rice (I asked for brown rice instead).

The beef cube steak was really tasted and came out piping hot in a sizzling platter. There was a pat of butter on top that melted and added a richness to the beef and grilled onions. The chicken with lemongrass had a small kick from the hot peppers and it was the new favorite dish for the guys. The pork spare ribs were ok; good pieces of meat but it got a little lost next to the other dishes. I'm not a huge fan of egg rolls or chicken wings. Having said that, the egg rolls were pretty good. These are thinner and longer than regular egg rolls. We ate one wrapped in lettuce. I've never tried egg rolls like that, but one of the guys told me that's how someone else taught him to eat it. I liked the addition of the lettuce! An added bonus is that the grease from the egg rolls aren't left on your fingers. The chicken wings were great; super crispy and tons of fried garlic.

The service was good on the day we went. The ladies kept coming by to fill up our drinks and ask how things were. But when we were ready to leave, they didn't come by for awhile.

I live and go to a gym that's close to Phuong Trang so I'm excited to go back and try more foods off their huge menu!

• Visited June 2013