“Still craving onion rings”
Review of Phil's BBQ

Phil's BBQ
Ranked #29 of 4,804 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: For the past 17 years, BBQ lovers across San Diego County have turned to restaurateur Phil Pace to satisfy a singular craving: mesquite-grilled baby back ribs, beef ribs, chicken and sandwiches. Serving thousands of customers a day from a diverse clientele of skateboarders to Bentleys, Phil has built his foundation on consistency, quality, freshness, and friendly service. "We thrive on providing each guest with the 'Phil's Experience', which basically comes down to organized chaos," laughs owner Phil Pace. "The biggest reason behind our success is our loyal customers who have supported us and waited in line for a taste of BBQ for the past fifteen years. "Since opening its doors in San Diego in 1998, Phil's BBQ has served over one million pounds of BBQ sauce (enough to fill Shamu's tank).
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Still craving onion rings”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had some time so I went to Phil's at about 3PM. There were a lot of people but the line was short. It was my first time so the greeter explained the procedure and everything was fast and efficient. I ordered, got my pager, filled my bottomless soda and sat for about 5-10 minutes then my pager went off and i picked up my food.

I ordered a half ribs with cole slaw and beans, and a small order of onion rings. The sauce on the ribs was awesome...just the right mix of sweet and a bit of heat. I was a bit disappointed in the ribs. The thickness of the meat was spotty, some ribs had a nice amount and others were nearly bare. The meat itself didn't have much of a smoke flavor but the sauce made up for it.

The sides really shined. The cole slaw was fresh and not swimming in dressing like most. The beans were tasty and the onions rings were the highlight of my meal. The onions were cut thick and the breading was thin and very crispy. I suggest putting a napkin under the onion rings to catch the excess oil that pools at the bottom...ok health food it is not but I crave those onion rings.

I will visit again if I am in San Diego in the middle of the afternoon.

• Visited April 2013

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
El Paso, Texas
“Excellent ribs, must stop in San Diego”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our hotel was near Phil's BBQ and everynight we passed by saw a long line of people trying to get diner. So we decided to try it. Wow, it was such a nice experience regarding the quality of the food. It was so crowded that we ended up in a small patio area on one side, we requested to be moved but it was impossible as they were full, this turned out to be the only bad part of our dinner, the sitting area but the good was good. Do try to visit this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
Isabela, Puerto Rico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best ribs I ever had!!!!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been at Phil's BBQ several times and can't wait to get my next rib shot. Great service and relatively fast. Prices are affordable. I would say that the best ribs I have ever had were from this awesome place. Ribs are well cooked, tender, juicy and great taste. Potato salad is spectacular. Portions are generous and you always feel that you get for what you pay. Exclent...and one of my five star rib places to eat at!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Jose-Pepe-Cruz
Bellevue, Washington
“We love Phil's!!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The line is long but worth wait. Some of the best BBQ in California. I wish they had a Phil's here in WA state. We loved eating there when we lived in SD and eat there now when we visit.

Visited August 2012
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“MMM, MMM, GOOD Food”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Phil's is a must if you are in the area. It lives up to the hype. We arrived early (4:30) and the wait was under an hour. The food is well worth the wait!! Phil's has a great system for moving people through. They have menu's along the wait line, when you get inside you order your food, and find your own table. They keep good track of groups, and #'s in your party, we had no problem finding a seat. While it is self service, they still have wait staff that come around and cater to you. The food was delicious and the service was great.

• Visited March 2013