“LOVE LOVE it!”

Phil's BBQ
Ranked #30 of 4,989 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: At Phils BBQ we combine the best barbecue, legendary service, and the biggest value to create a fast, casual, and fun experience. Our baby back, beef, and chicken dinners all come with your choice of sides, our most popular are the fresh cut fries and colossal onion rings! The full service bar features the tastiest craft beer in SD and tickers surround the restaurant so you can keep up with all your sports. We also cater! Phil's bbq has been awarded best bbq catering in SD year after year.
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Went to Phils after seeing it on Man vs Food and was not disappointed. The food was great and prices reasonable. Took several colleagues here after enjoying it myself first. Multiple meats smoked and plentiful portions. Lines can be very long so I suggest going early or being hapoy to wait!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,500)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I usually go in for take out orders because the line is out the door. Their phone order isn't that great, as half the time, I am not able to order, so I just walk in and go towards the left to take out orders. It's fast and friendly service. Probably the best BBQ in San Diego, but growing up in the Midwest, it's not as good as what I'm used to, but it will suffice for SoCal

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Phil and his crew are great folks. The BBQ is OK. It just didn't stand out in the category of the best BBQ places in the United States. It's a local favorite. San Diego just isn't known for it's BBQ.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I am very biased about BBQ. I grew up in the deep south and no one on the west coast really understands BBQ cooking, seasoning or sauce. I have given up going out anywhere in California for decent BBQ found in NC, SC, Tx and Miss.
But everyone raves about this place and said the wait was worth the food. The meats are of good quality but clearly cooked in an oven and not grilled, smoked or BBQ. Key to eating at a real BBQ is that you smell the place a mile before you get there. You smell the burning wood, the cooking meats and the charcoal.
At Phil's you smell nothing and it reflects in the taste. I do not understand why people lined up for an hour to eat there. Pretty amazing.
the biggest disappointment was in the BBQ sauce. Worthless and void of realy flavor. Just a sweet red sauce. The sauce was cold on the meat as well. The sides were decent and I did like the coleslaw it was really good.
The wait is absurd. Standing in line for more than an hour is nuts. If I had not been with friends who wanted to have the "Phil's" experience I would have walked.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Get the ribs and the El Toro. An institution and well worth the visit. Don't be put off if there are queues.

1  Thank Mikesunshine