“Excellent Breakfast!! Great casual ambiance!”

The Mission Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 4,776 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Mission Beach
Tampa, Florida
“Excellent Breakfast!! Great casual ambiance!”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I lived a few blocks away for years and visited dozens of times.
It's a hidden gem with great mexican style breakfast and a casual ambiance.
The French Toast is still my wife and I favorite! We've put it to the test with places in L.A, San Fran, Vegas, NYC, resorts in Hawaii and the Caribbean... it is simply that good!
Their breakfast burritos is also great. I'm not a big coffee person, but everyone that I've visited with, loved it.
Give yourself a little extra time, there's always a wait :)

The location is a bit sketchy, but the food is wonderful.

• Visited April 2014

• Korean first
“Breakfast at Mission Bay”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Mission Cafe at Mission Beach/Bay, a wonderful place to have breakfast. Me and some friends went there at 12 to 13pm, we must wait about 5-10 minutes, but it is no problem.Some people say that in the morning you have to wait more than 10 minutes, so take a good time to go. The Staff is really,really nice and good organized. After 8 Minutes we had a table for 5 persons and could directly order some drinks and food. I ordered the house coffee and my friends orange juice, the drinks were really good and fresh. And then, oh yeah, the pancakes i ordered (Blueberry Banana), there were so awesome, fluffy, fruity it was a really big portion. I fighted with the pancakes and won but i think its a good deal for 2 persons :). Also i ordered 2 pieces of bacon, because i love the mix of sweet and hearty.The bacon was good, not the best i ever ate, but good. The others ate a fruit bowl or scrambled eggs and so on, the tasted good to very good as well. So if you want to take a good and very inexpensive breakfast, say hello to the Mission Cafe.

“Excellent Breakfast”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We went to get breakfast on a Sunday morning. Though you will typically wait about 15-20 minutes for a table on the busy weekend breakfast rush, it is well worth the wait. The waitress was very attentive, despite the many tables and loud crowd. Pancakes were amazing! I got the strawberry banana panackes and they were huge! No wonder eggs and bacon were extra. The food was filling, the syrup was delicious and we had a great family breakfast.

1 Thank Jessie E
Long Island, NY
“BEST BREAKFAST EVER”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The restaurant is unassuming and you might pass it by so keep a sharp eye out. My family of five agreed that this place was our favorite, hands down. Breakfast was in a good portion, made with fresh ingrediants and VERY tasty. Rarely do my kids rave over food but at this restaraunt, they insisted everyone sample their dishes. Not the cheapest breakfast but not too unreasonable. You get what you pay for at the Mission Cafe and what you're paying for is DELICIOUS fresh food, friendly service and a clean place. There may be a wait so put your name on the list, be patient and peruse the local surf shops. It's worth the wait.

Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
“Fantastic food!”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We visit the San Diego area every year, and honestly we make a point of driving all the way from Encinitas to Mission Beach primarily in order to eat lunch at this restaurant. It is that good!

We always order the Papas Loco (crazy potatoes), which is supposedly a breakfast meal, but we eat it as a hearty lunch. It is a generous serving of rosemary potato home fries, with a lot of tasty black beans in a good gravy, served with freshly made salsa, and garnished with scallions, a slice of avocado and a few thick slices of hot pepper. We skip the sour cream. We do also order a fresh squeezed orange juice.

It is all just fantastic. I am a foodie and a very good cook myself and therefore honestly I am hard to please. My husband and I have been eating lunch here once a year since the very late 1980s, and this place is always fabulous.

This visit we arrived at noon on a weekday. At that time it was pretty crowded and therefore a bit noisy, but by the time we finished our lunch the crowd had thinned out a fair bit. It closes at 3 pm.

We park at the small pay-to-park parking lot that is more or less opposite the restaurant, and we walk around Mission Beach a bit after our lunch and before driving up to La Jolla.