“Fantastic food!”

The Mission Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 4,724 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Mission Beach
New York City, New York
“Fantastic food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

We visit the San Diego area every year, and honestly we make a point of driving all the way from Encinitas to Mission Beach primarily in order to eat lunch at this restaurant. It is that good!

We always order the Papas Loco (crazy potatoes), which is supposedly a breakfast meal, but we eat it as a hearty lunch. It is a generous serving of rosemary potato home fries, with a lot of tasty black beans in a good gravy, served with freshly made salsa, and garnished with scallions, a slice of avocado and a few thick slices of hot pepper. We skip the sour cream. We do also order a fresh squeezed orange juice.

It is all just fantastic. I am a foodie and a very good cook myself and therefore honestly I am hard to please. My husband and I have been eating lunch here once a year since the very late 1980s, and this place is always fabulous.

This visit we arrived at noon on a weekday. At that time it was pretty crowded and therefore a bit noisy, but by the time we finished our lunch the crowd had thinned out a fair bit. It closes at 3 pm.

We park at the small pay-to-park parking lot that is more or less opposite the restaurant, and we walk around Mission Beach a bit after our lunch and before driving up to La Jolla.

• Visited August 2014

• Korean first
Philadelphia
“Best breakfast I've had in a long time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Healthy fresh ingredients. Well seasoned dishes, amazing flavor...vegetarian and gluten free options...soy chorizo...yummo!

Aguanga, California
“Best food in Mission Beach?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Perhaps... The service was quick and attentive, the food very good with large portions, and the price was not too exorbitant. I would definitely eat either breakfast or lunch here anytime.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank BillyBob66
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Amazing French toast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

We went to this cafe as it was near our hotel (the Catamaran) and I'd read so many positive reviews on here. It didn't disappoint! Purely based on reviews I ordered the cinnamon French toast - WOW! Never eaten anything like it, it was fantastic! Even my husband, who isn't a huge cinnamon fan, ate 1 of my 3 pieces as I couldn't finish it and he loved it. He had a beautiful chicken salad. Our waitress, Nancy, was faultless and seemed to instantly spot when our coffee and water needed topping up. I also had their mango smoothie which was beautiful. Go, you won't regret it!

Visited July 2014
Clearwater, Florida
“Always tasty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Mission is great! Anything you order will be delicious. Their French toast is fluffy, their eggs are tasty, the potatoes fresh and their warm drinks are excellent. I wished we had more time in our most recent trip to San Diego to visit more than once, I have so many favorites on their menu! You may have to wait a little while for a table depending on when you arrive and parking can be challenging. We determined that any parking spot within a half mile is fair game! There are 2 other locations closer to downtown San Diego if you can't make it out to Mission Beach. The one on J Street is within walking distance of the Convention Center.

• Visited July 2014