“Loved the Flamenco Show”
Review of La Gran Tapa - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I went here on a Friday night. We paid the extra $10 (each) to sit in the area where the live music and dancing was going to be (they have a Flamenco show on Friday nights). The show was great: there was a guitarist and vocalist, and four flamenco dancers. Apparently, one is the resident flamenco dancer of the restaurant (she was the best one!), and the other three were visiting from a studio - it sounds like they invite dancers from different studios every weekend. I loved the music, costumes, stomping, and props. I'd go to the restaurant again just for the show.

The food was good. Not mind-blowingly great, but good. We ordered a variety of warm tapas dishes. Nothing stood out, but nothing was outright disappointing. We also ordered a bottle of wine and some sangria. Now, the sangria actually DID stand out! Some of the best I've had.

The service was okay. Again, nothing that blew me over, but nothing to complain about. The atmosphere of the restaurant was very cool: vintage chandeliers and the like.

Overall, I'd probably go here again, especially on the night with live dancing. Note: tip is incorporated into your bill, even if it's just two of you (i.e., not discretionary or optional, even if you have bad service).

There are newer reviews for La Gran Tapa

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Service was so bad I didn't stay long enough to eat...'cause the food never arrived! And when I wanted to pay for my drink and leave, it took FOREVER just to get a bill for the drink!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stumbled across this place on our way to the donut bar and decided to duck in on a Friday -my gosh what fun! You can customize your sangria (red, white or rose) with or with out fruit and Grand Manier. Many fantastic cold and hot tapas dishes (did not see any pinxtos, but prefer other things). Paella - let's get serious here - some of the best ever! They charge a cover but you get entertainment and I have to say the owners get involved with the music and Flamenco dancing, which is great to see. They automatically add a service charge but the staff is so warm and engaging I'd pay more if I was tipping independently. Many other things I'd like to try on the menu as well.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Take your friends to La Gran Tapa for an experience you'll always remember. Every time we travel to San Diego we find ourselves at the La Gran Tapa for their unique musical and dance performances, their yummy Mediterranean food, the great wines and festive atmosphere. Last time we were there, Flamenco guitarists, singers and dancers performed live. Each of the artists took turns dancing, even the owner, Basilio Ceravolo, took his turn on the dance floor. My husband and I sat at the bar enjoying a number of their terrific tapas while sipping great wine. We watched the entertainers and had a wonderful time but I only wished a couple of friends had come with us so we could share this unique experience with others. Also, we were surprised when we paid our bill and discovered that NO TIPS were accepted. The tip is included in the price of each thing ordered.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Ready for an Iberian Peninsula experience with nice live music and dancers. At La Gran Tapa you can Enjoy a great menu like Tapas, Wine, Paella delicacy, Coffee and Desserts. Great service and when the owner Basilio and Maria are there gives you a great warm welcoming.There is cover and $20.00 purchase. Offers free parking few steps away and a very nice environment to visit with family, friends or alone.Viva La Gran Tapa!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant