“Authentic German Food”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ocean Beach
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Kaiserhof, now operated by the son of the founder has been an institution of authentic, delectable German Food. Food is served in a pleasant ambiance either inside the two sections or on the enclosed terrace, the Wunderbar. Staff is attired in traditional Bavarian style DIRNDLE outfits, adding to the feeling of being transported to Germany.

The menu selection is extensive, starting with typical German appetizers, such as a Wurst Sampler and a Herring plate among others, both portions could make a meal in themselves. We treated ourselves to a main dish of venison, which was prepared excellently and garnished with a selection of German specialties, among them Spaetzle, Lingenberries, a poached wedge of pear, red cabbage, sour kraut and more than one could eat in one sitting. Friends of German beer would surely find their favorite in the vast selection. Wines by the glass from Germany were very good and reasonably priced, as was the whole menu.

If in San Diego and yearning for some great German food, the Kaiserhof will satisfy all comers.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Being a big fan of German cuisine along with my husband and son-in-law, we chose Kaiserhof as the best restaurant to celebrate my son-in-law's birthday this last Sunday. I have been hearing about this restaurant for the last ten years but for some reason never got down there. It is about 45 minutes from where we live. We had 9 people in our group and all of us enjoyed our entrees and beverages. We all tried each other's dishes and found them authentic and well prepared. I had 3 kinds of sausage with sauerkraut and red skin potatoes. My husband got the weinerschniztel which was the best he has had since 1955 when he was stationed in Germany. We have made two trips to Germany and could never find could weinershniztel. My son-in-law got the Sauerbraten and said it was perfect. My daughter got the veal paprika and based on both our opinions as she gave me a taste, it was great. It is a restaurant that I look forward to going back to when we are able. Our waitress, Ulla, made our celebration memorable as she knew the menu, how to be attentive without being invasive, kind to our children, personable, and gave us a feeling of being transported to Germany without the distance we would have to travel and the expense of flying there. She helped us know how the dishes were prepared and really went out of her way to make our dining experience enjoyable.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is authentic German cuisine. Classic dishes well prepared, served by a professional wait staff. What more could one ask? Entrees come with soup or salad, rolls and butter, a choice of several truly German sides or some typical side dishes, your choice. Desserts are traditional for German fare, too. For a different experience than the usual favorites, you probably can't do better. There is a selection of German beers and wines available to complement your meal. Enjoy!

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

A German friend took me there and I'm nothing close to German but I love it.I wish I can even make a pronunciation of what I eat but I can't. What I can tell it's that the food is amazing and according to my friend very traditional so is the clothe of the receptionist. A litter bit pricy but worth every single penny. Best pretzel I've ever eat also. I don't necessarily know if it's kids friendly. At least they don't have kids menu. But I recommend it 200%.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Judging from other reviews, we expected a much better German food experience than we had. Entrees were tough, sides were dry, nothing had much flavor. The atmosphere was nice, service seemed slow for a weekday evening. We were disappointed and won't return.

2  Thank Mimus