“Simply the WORST..”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ocean Beach
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This place is the worst restaurant EVER!!! Waiter...waiter... we are over here. Hum, extremely slow service despite being one of the few guests. They allow smoking even though that's illegal in California to smoke in a restaurant, they claim its outside, but you are under a tent like structure that is more building than tent....the smoke stays inside. Too bad, they have good beer....BUT NOT NOT WORTH IT! Try getting a check...more waiting. Too many good place to waste a second here. REALLY!

1  Thank tripscotty

Reviewed November 13, 2012

For traditional German food, Kaiserhof is the best you get in San Diego. The food is good and the atmosphere is fun. We had a good time in spite of the service. Our evening was marred by the service. We felt like we were pieces of furniture that got in the way of the wait staff. How many times should you have to ask for water, for bread, for another drink, for your check, for them to take your credit card, for them to bring it back. It was like pulling teeth. We won't go back. It wasn't worth the trouble with so many better places available.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I used to love this restaurant. So 4 of us went there again last evening for my birthday. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! I got the sauerbraten which is usually melt-in-your-mouth tender with delicious sauce (or gravy). I received 3 large slices of well-done roast beef with just a smidgeon of sauce. The roast beef was very lean, no fat or gristle. But it was dry & chewy with almost no flavor, definitely not tender. Had I been blind-folded I wouldn't have known it was sauerbraten. I also ordered spaetzel (to go with my hoped for sauerbraten gravy) which wasn't even salted & was so gummy it all stuck together in a big blob. Very unappetizing. My German potato salad was served cold (not warm) & only so-so. However it was the best thing I had to eat.

One of our party ordered the wienerschnizel. Again it was very dry. Just a breaded, fried piece of meat with no flavor or sauce of any kind. He could only eat a few bites & felt like he was having to choke it down. He also ordered the fried bread. It tasted like boxed sage stuffing mix, made into a ball, & deep-fried. At least this came with some brown gravy. But the ball itself was gummy in the middle & inedible. We all agreed that we like our stuffing with turkey but certainly not by itself. Another of us ordered the chicken with peppercorn sauce. At least the sauce was good, but the chicken was so overcooked, it too was extremely dry. He ordered the German fried potatoes to go with it. They were small medallions, pan fried, with absolutely no salt or seasoning of any kind. We were told they were fried in butter, but there was no butter or oil flavor at all. The potatoes were so dry that table salt wouldn't even cling & just rolled off them. Again inedible. The 4th of us ordered the fried fish (I think it was flounder). She said it was o-k & cooked properly, but with a lot of breading. She got the "German" applesauce to go with it. Looked & tasted like it came out of a jar... nothing special about it.

The dinner rolls were served hot, but they were baked so dark & hard that our butter knives couldn't cut them. Only a steak knife could have done the job. The pats of butter were so cold & icy that they didn't melt on the bread so we couldn't spread the butter.

For our first course, 2 of us ordered salad & the other two ordered the soup-of-the-day which was "tomato bisque". The salads were average & the best thing about the soup were the 5 little croutons sprinkled on top. ( it, too, was very bland)

The place was only half full, yet it took alost 45 minutes to get our food. On a positive note, our waiter was outstanding, knowledgable about the menu, & checked back with us regularly so see if we needed anything. However it took over 20 minutes to get our check. All-in-all this meal took us 2 hours, 10 minutes from start to finish. Way too long. Especially when half of the food went uneaten.

Clearly the Kaiserhoff is not what it used to be. The prices are extremely high for the mediocre food & the decor is very old & dated. If the food doesn't improve this restaurant might go down fast. Unfortunately if you want German cuisine, there aren't many choices.

Even tho it doesn't advertise itself as such, I would highly recommend DZ Akins for German food.

1  Thank Kathy W
Reviewed September 18, 2012

No dogs in here. Open Tues-Sat at 4:00 with dinner starting at 5:00. Friday and Sat they serve lunch and Sunday there is brunch.
We got there about 6:15 and Happy Hour goes from 4-7. Free food: veggies, sliced sausage, chicken, potato pieces. Excellent selection of German beer starts at $3.50 per small mug.
Happy Hour food menu is small.
Nice dining area with linen tablecloths, etc.
Bartender gal was knowledgeable, but not a lot of fun or full of smiles.
Would for sure go back. I rated is casual as we were in shorts and t-shirts, but it does have a nice formal area as well.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

OK, I have been scouting this place for a few weeks and finally decided to take a look inside. The German food is great the staff is very friendly. Scott, Karen and Cindy are great. You will find "local Germans " enjoying a Stein of beer. You might think you are actually in Germany as you will over hear the language being spoken.

During Happy hour , they have free food in the bar, its not you typical bar food, spatezel, wurst, wings and fresh veggies. Then order the off the menu. Sauerbraten is awesome and plenty of it.

This place is on my bi-weekly rotation, thought I could do weekly, but I would pack on the weight.

Great place for family,friends,couples and business.