“I love this restaurant!”
Review of The Venetian

The Venetian
Reserve with OpenTable
The Venetian is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #754 of 4,770 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Point Loma
Cross street: Chatsworth Blvd.
Description: The Venetian’s award-winning Italian cuisine (including what critics call some of San Diego’s best pizza), relaxed setting and casual atmosphere have earned generations of fans since Vince Giacalone first welcomed customers in 1965. Sons Joey and Frank proudly continue their family traditions, making sausage, soups and sauces from scratch and drawing a devoted, all-ages clientele. Highlights of the menu include bruschetta, seafood pastas, chicken and veal piccata, and thick- or thin-crust pizzas with either traditional or trendy toppings. Located in Point Loma, The Venetian’s friendly service and “Cheers” style vibe make it a favorite destination for date night, happy hour, dinner with friends or family celebrations. Seating includes the lively bar and patio (great for families and larger parties); comfy booths and banquettes; and a private wine cellar that can be reserved for parties of up to 16. Dinner nightly; lunch Monday-Friday; Sunday brunch; full bar.
salt lake city
“I love this restaurant!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We were introduced to this restaurant years ago by one of our friends from Point Loma. The food is fabulous and I've been here a number of times--literally, every time I'm in San Diego. The calamari picatta is to tie for! Pizzas are great too. Desserts are wonderful. Everything is great. Very low key, reasonably priced Italian food in a residential area of San Diego. I love it because it is not a touristy place. Great service too!

• Visited November 2013

Balboa Island, California
“Delicious pizza dinner.”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We entered the restaurant through the front door and found a very attractive dining room with booths lining the sides and tables in the middle. The room looked like it would be a very comfortable room in which to dine. Although some of the booths were occupied, the noise level was nice and low. We were greeted immediately, and, learning that there was another, larger room in the back, we decided just to take a look. The back room was reminiscent of a pizza parlor environment - the noise level was definitely greater. The staff was very courteous while we compared dining rooms. We opted for the front dining room. The service was attentive and prompt, yet not intrusive. The wine list was more than sufficient as it had a very nice and reasonably priced selection. The lentil and minestrone soups were quite good. The Caesar salad was excellent, and anchovies were quickly provided upon request. We had the specialty "Combo" pizza, mushroom, sausage and pepperoni and asked for it with a thin crust. It was delicious, with the just the right amount of spice and a hint of a delicious herb in the sausage. The cheese was very tasty. The crust was thin but maintained its crustiness throughout the time we took to savor each piece. For dessert, the one pretty large serving of tiramisu might have been enough for three people. I look forward to going back to The Venetian.

• Visited September 2013
San Diego, California
“One of the best in San Diego”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

If you love consistently good Italian food this is the place. I would have to admit, however good the food may be, the prices are on the high side for the area. It does tend to be noisy during busy times. It gets busy, but the kitchen staff does a great job of getting the food out in a timely manner. The wait staff was on the ball and came by numerous times to see if we needed anything. Even with some of their minor shortcomings, this place is still one of the best in San Diego.

Visited September 2013
Thornton, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chicken Parm”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Prepare to pack it in. You can't go wrong with the chicken parm, huge portions. Parking was a little scarce but well worth it. We were told a reservation was recommended but a 6pm arrival was no sweat.

Visited October 2012
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the time or money”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

So here's my recommendation for the Venetian Restaurant in Point Loma.....DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. The service was half [--], high priced, the food was mediocre, the staff was pretentious, and their problem resolution with manager not successful. We will not be going back there.

Our dinner started out with the server bringing us bread. I am a bread lover and this bread was not fresh. The servers seemed very pretentious and acted as if we put them out. We ordered a refill of coke and one of the staff slammed it down on the table. We finally decided what we wanted and had to flag down our waitress to order. I ordered the Canneloni which was ok. My spouse had ordered the Veal Piccatta. He said that it was mediocre and tasted like a frozen dinner. He complained that it was way too tart. My spouse loves Veal Piccata and orders it anywhere that serves it. he did not like this one. The pasta that came with it was undercooked and the sauce tasted like it came from a jar. Our friend who was with us is Sicilian and ordered the Eggplant. She did not like it at all and the meat sauce which she also said wasn't good. She sent that back as well as the Veal Piccatta. The manager came over to talk to us. His attitude was cocky at best. He was very confrontational but asked us what was wrong with the dishes. We explained to him what we didn't like and he said he would take them off. He stated to us the this restaurant had 4 gold stars and seemed surprised that we didn't like it. We didn't really care whether the restaurant had 1 star or 4 stars, we didn't like the experience. It felt like he was looking down on us. We finally got the check, and the manager only discounted $20 off and didn't remove both entrees. We asked and he stated that we enjoyed the soup and salad that came with it. Seriously, that soup or salad did not cost them anything and WILL cost them more in unhappy customers and bad reviews like this. We told that we would be happy to pay for the soup and the salad that we enjoyed. He came back and he told us he would make a new ticket charging us for the soup and the salad that came with those meals that he comped. I handed my credit card and another staff took it to process. They brought the credit card slip back to me to sign and low and behold, it was processed for the original amount. So again flagged down our waitress and told her that they incorrectly charged my card. They re-ran it for the correct amount. Now if I have to deal with my credit card company to remove an erroneous charge, I will truly be upset. A good manager wouldn't have nit picked with the soups or salads and just comped the meals that were sent back. Unfortunately, he is not one of them.

Needless to say, we will not be returning and advise that you do not patronize the place either.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Da1noel

Been to The Venetian? Share your experiences!