“Exceeded my high expectations”
Review of Indigo Grill

Indigo Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Indigo Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #132 of 4,959 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cedar
Transit: Trolley stop at Little Italy
Description: Located in the heart of Little Italy featuring innovative modern Latin décor and a warm ambience create the perfect setting for sharing food and stories.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I'd heard about this place and was excited when a client chose it for dinner. I definitely was not disappointed! The three of us shared the Stacked Beet Salad to begin, and that was a good thing, as it was huge. The dried beet chips were to die for and the salad was perfectly dressed. The salad also looked beautiful, and that visual wow continued when our entrees arrived. I chose Wild Mushroom Fettuccine with Chicken, which was gorgeously plated and topped high with onion rings. Absolutely delicious. My companions chose Good Things Growing, a vegan option, and Alderwood Plank Salmon, accompanied by divine squid ink pasta. Again, the plating was superb, as was the experience of eating it. The desserts sounded great, but we were so full that we passed. Indigo Grill is a great option for discerning diners.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Had dinner here the other evening - not crowded - menu has a limited selection - and it is expensive - $66 for one pasta dish and one ribs dish, a coke and an Arnold Palmer. We ordered drinks first - the coke came out tasting like it was infused with rum and the Arnold Palmer was 97% water 1% iced tea 1% lemonade and 1% unknown - when we asked for the drinks to be repoured, we got attitude - honestly! If you portray your place as a hip, fantastic restaraunt then get simple drinks correct and when you screw them up (how you can screw up such simple drinks is beyond me) - FIX THEM WITH NO ATTITUDE - IT AINT ROCKET SCIENCE.
The food itself was ok - not great and certainly not worth the $66. The pasta dish could not really make up its mind what flavor it wanted to be - there was a large mass of spinach leaves in it - like no one seperated the leaves - just a big clump. And pasta is pasta which this was. The ribs were dry and spicy (which the menu did not mention)
Disappointing really
And although i like the smell of ciagrs, this place had a ciagr aroma all evening -like someone was smoking in the corner - which I am ok with but I know a lot are not - and if it is supposed to be smoke free - then it needs to be smoke free

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We are from the East Coast and we love exploring new areas and eating out. We dine out a lot and have eaten at some incredible restaurants. This meal will be one of those memorable moments we have shared. Dinner was so good we actually skipped dessert (completely out of character!). We started with the brie appetizer which came with flatbread, honey roasted garlic, jalapeno jelly and other sides ... it was delicious ... the only sad part is we know we won't be able to get anything like it around home. For dinner my husband had the pork porterhouse which he loved. I had a filet with a stuffed jalapeno and garlic mashed potatoes. The combination of flavors was just delicious. They also have a great sangria. We had a late reservation and it was a little empty so we did feel rushed and weren't offered another drink because I think they were looking to close but we didn't care because the food was so good!

2  Thank Santucci1
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I went for a mid-week dinner at Indigo Grill, a restaurant we have called one of our favorites for a few years. It was busy, but not crowded. The problems started with the food...my soup was just warm, they forgot my husband's. We split a salad (grilled romaine) and it tasted as though it had been sitting around a while before it found it's way to our table. The main course was good, but again did not taste freshly made. The bread with the main actually tasted stale! The table beside us told their waiter that they did not like the bread. His response. "OK, I'll just take your plates away then." The pototoe chip stuck in the mashed potatoes was also stale! Always the optimist, I still wanted to try desert...As with the initial part of our meal, service was slow....We waited quite a while for our waitress to return with menus, then about 10 more minutes before she returned to take our order. Then we waited, and waited, and waited. We began discussing just getting our check and leaving when the waitress came back, apologized and said "there were a lot of deserts coming out of the kitchen at the same time. Yours will be another 2 minutes at most!"After 10-15 minutes we got up to leave and made it half way to the door when we ran into our waitress with our desert. She took one look at our faces and said, It's been too long. I'll take this back and get the manager,". After about 5 additional minutes a man walked over and identified himself as the manager. He told us (very unapologetically) that he would take the dessert off the menu but added, "All our desserts take a long time" with such a sarcastic tone that my husband started to explain that we had eaten there before and understood how long it should take. I was becoming angry and also told him about the stale bread and potato chip. He responded that the bread was baked daily and had an unusual texture! He apologized again, this time a little more sincerely, and told us to let him know when we came in again so he could come by our table and say "Hi". The last thing he mentioned was that Indigo Grill was closing in about a month for a month's duration to remodel.

Summary: The manager's attitude told me that Indigo Grill doesn't care about customers coming back. Hmmmm...sounds like they may not be planning on reopening. I didn't expect the manager to argue with me! I wasn't angry when the incident started but both my husband and myslef certainly were when we left!...and the value of him "coming over to say "Hi" is...non-existant because I will not return. Sad...I really used to like this restaurant!.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Indigo Grill is a place of unusual juxtapositions that somehow work. A vaguely Latin American flavored restaurant on the edge of Little Italy? Yet it doesn't feel out of place amid the pizza and prosciutto. The food itself is a fascinating, complex mix of unexpected flavors. For an appetizer, we had baked Brie--coated in crushed pumpkin seeds and served with mole sauce, jalapeño jam and pickled cactus leaves! It was out of this world. I combined that with a spicy margarita with Thai chiles and hot peppers around the rim instead of salt. (Don't worry, there are plenty of things for the less fireproof palates.)

The entree was a flat iron steak with chimichurri and accompanied by a honey-glazed quesadilla. The steak itself was a bit on the tough side, but the overall dish was delicious. My friend and I shared a split of a good Meritage that went perfectly with the food. Perhaps the best part (although that's a tough call) was the dessert--a meringue-covered chocolate cake surrounding mint chip ice cream. On the side was a flaming ramekin of Bacardi 151, with the idea that we could heat our spoons for a more efficient approach to the meringue and ice cream! It was impossible to resist--but the portions are very generous, so I went home a bit overstuffed.

The service was great and everything was brought at exactly the right time. I did t think it felt too intrusive, but at least four different people stopped by to ask how everything was, which wasn't really necessary. Still, we could honestly tell each of them that everything was delicious!