“chocoholic....”

Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop
Ranked #5 of 148 Dessert in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
nearnaples
“chocoholic....”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

A very good chocolate, also the ice cream and the dessert, but the service is not so good as the place.

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cairo, Egypt
“Love this place! Desserts only!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Having just had lunch at the Gaslamp Tavern up the street on Fifth Ave in downtown San Diego, I spied the Ghirardelli name down the street. Okay, so everyone knows what that means and I grabbed my daughter and two granddaughters and made a beeline for the place, taking care to ensure the girls (3 & 6) obeyed the walk signs!

Things are improving in downtown San Diego. On my first visit on Spring Break in 1966 (on our way to Tijuana with fraternity brothers), you not only had to obey the walk signs, but you had to avoid the derelicts and panhandlers. San Diego has come along ways! I love their Gaslamp Quarter.

So it's nice to see restored buildings, upscale restaurants and hotels in an historic setting. And Ghirardelli Ice Cream and Chocolate Shop fits right in.

Upon entering, you encounter an old fashioned soda fountain/ice cream parlor. Well done! And I suspect that they didn't have to do much to achieve this look except clean it up.

We visited this place for desserts - not coffee or tea. I suppose with the advent of Starbucks and Teavana and all the rest of those beverage places, Tripadvisor opted for the 80/20 theory and lumps everything outside of a conventional meal into this category. What's the difference between "Coffee and tea" and "Drinks," though? Desserts are one of the Basic Food Groups in my opinion. Although we did have cappuccinos there.

I am a Luddite by definition. Nothing wrong with our past. Love, love, love this place that represents our past! Love the decor and love the ice cream offerings. And I love the downtown setting!

• Visited February 2014
Dallas, Texas
“...I regret not getting a salted caramel shake.”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This place is great and my only regret is not getting more. It may be pricey - but it's good and if you don't want to pay for quality chocolate, then just go in, get your free sample and look and drool!

Visited March 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Why wouldn't you?!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

You MUST have dessert there. I definitely recommend their world famous - hot fudge with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream topped with almonds and a cherry. It is to die for! The salted caramel is also very good. Friendly staff and opened until 10 pm. Makes for a good sweet dessert run!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank MJad1
Kansas City, Missouri
“Wow”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The dark chocolate espresso sundae- I've never had anything quite like it. Delicious and delivered with friendliness and cheer