“Yay, Ghirardelli” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop
Ranked #6 of 148 Dessert in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Colorado Springs, CO
“Yay, Ghirardelli”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just craving something sweet and cold after a long day walking around. Though there was a line to order, it moved swiftly. Service was friendly and efficient. I ordered a chocolate shake made my way...vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup. No problem. Delicious. Maybe a little high priced, but I found prices along the gas lamp district to be high overall.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
“Best Hot Chocolate.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We love Ghirardelli, this place is conveniently located in the Gaslamp Quarter Area, so if you had lunch/diner in the Gaslamp area and you still have room for something sweet, this is the place.
The place is clean, staff is very attentive, and your order is sent to your table in a timely manner. Prices are very reasonable and the atmosphere is good. Outdoor seating is available but small.
We love the hot chocolate and our kids the sundaes. Before we leave, we stop by the store and get some chocolate squares and our Double Chocolate powder.

• Visited April 2013
Wilsonville, Oregon
“Chocolate heaven”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Was craving some chocolate after dinner and thought I would give this place a try. I always stop in the ice cream shop when in San Fran to look around but have never actually ate there. It was decent but over priced.

Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
“Reminded me of the 50's Soda Shop only modern”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have been here a number of times and I know that the original one is in San Francisco which I would like to go one day.

I actually came here for a late night snack. It was about 10:30 Pm on a Friday and its in the middle of the Downtown across from the Movies and next to Urban Outfitters.Even though it was late the staff is always friendly and the smile. I love their service which is you order your dessert or coffee and they give you a number and bring it to the table. A tip is to always share because even though I LOVE sweets it's really to much for one person. I been always a fan of the 50's so I enjoy coming here over and over again.

Perfect for a first date or any date for that matter. This place is cute and let's face it there aren't many places like this Soda Shop in San Diego.

I recommend this place to family, friends and everyone

• Visited March 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Chocolate, Chocolate, and more... and they are open late!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stopped here while walking around the Gas Lamp area. They have hosts giving visitors a free square of Ghirardelli Carmel when you enter. The atmosphere is nostalgic with the outfits of the servers and simple white tile decor. The vintage posters and large mural of the founder tells the story of the company. My husband had a Mint Bliss sundae and loved it. I had a chocolate dipped strawberry. I had a little bit of my husband's Sundae and it was chocolate to the max. The sundae was $8.95 and if you think this is pricey I would say it is well worth it because the quality of chocolate they make here is just so superior. Warning if you are wanting to keep to a diet don't go! Note: they are open late. On the last night we were in San Diego we went to a theater production. After the play, my husband insisted we take a taxi directly to the ice cream shop. It was after 10pm and unsure if it was open but when we arrived it was still open and packed. My husband was happy to have one last fix before we left early in the morning. We shared a Banana Split. The staff said that they were open to 11:30 and in the summer on weekends to 12;30 (but check to make sure I heard that right). It was an interesting to see the late night crowd. Many people were sharing as they truly are large servings. The service was fast and friendly.

• Visited March 2013