“food was excellent”

Crest Cafe
Ranked #278 of 5,674 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Crest Cafe is proud to be a locally owned business in San Diego, California and a long time staple of the Hillcrest area! Our family restaurant is open 7 - midnight 365 days a year and is perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, drinks or dessert. We have been in business for over 30 years and are proud to have been featured on the Food Network! We are great for customers looking for a fast bite to eat as well as customers looking to enjoy the comfort of our space. We serve beer, wine, champagne, mimosas, and coffee. We cater and also offer online ordering and delivery. Stop in for daily food deals during the week! We validate all parking on 6th Ave for our customers.
Reviewed February 21, 2019

Food was excellent, service was a bit slow, but that was okay, we got to sit and enjoy and didn't feel rushed at all in this 'diner'. Creme brulee french toast was really good and not as rich and feeling as I thought it would be, just the perfect amount of food. Family of 5 with picky eaters and it was easy to find food and it was all good. Would go back for sure. Price is on the higher side but felt it was worth the value.

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed February 20, 2019 via mobile

I had the French toast and my friend had the butter burger. He raved about the burger. My French toast was very good, though nothing as extraordinary as you’d think from the title. Still, pretty cool place with solid food.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed January 23, 2019

We love the lunches at this Hillcrest establishment. The burgers are always good and the onion loaf is not-to-be-missed. We've tried their breakfasts on one occasion and were not impressed. My advice is to stick to lunch here.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed October 21, 2018

We stopped here pretty late, it was just after 11, and they closed at 12AM. Despite the time, we felt welcome and wee bit rushed! The server recommended the Pastrimi Rueban, and it was absolutely delicious!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

I've eaten at Crest several times over the last 20 years. I've never been impressed. It's like you often hear, you can either have good food or atmosphere but you can't have both. Well, I've always felt this place was cute but the food wasn't that great. It's certainly not memorable.

Last weekend our group of 6 decided to meet here. When we arrived, the lobby was empty and the first 3 of us showed up together. The staff wouldn't seat us until our complete party had arrived. Now I think this is reasonable if there is a wait, but the place had open tables and no one else waiting. In the 20 minutes we waited, we could have been seated and spending money on mimosas. Instead we were forced to wait. Finally, the one waiter with common sense seated us despite not having a complete party.

As a paying customer, I chose to use the free WiFi. After leaving I received a request to please provide feedback. So I did! I provided my honest feedback detailing our dissatisfaction with the seating policy as well as feedback about the mediocre quality of the food. But our waiter was GREAT! Instead of receiving a concerned response seeking further feedback or kindly addressing my concerns, I got an email with a nasty tone accusing me of using their free WiFi to provide "hurtful" feedback.

The owner clearly can't handle constructive criticism. I definitely won't be back to this place until I see that ownership has changed.

I've never thought it was all that good, and now I wouldn't waste my time.

Date of visit: September 2018