“Fabulous”

Bertrand at Mister A'S
Reserve with OpenTable
Bertrand at Mister A'S is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 4,799 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
San Diego, CA
“Fabulous”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is a great place for a quick happy hour or a special dinner. It has the great atmosphere of a good old fashioned top notch classy restaurant. Service is excellent. Food is excellent. One of my favorites. Go out on the terrace and watch the planes go by

Visited February 2012

• Indonesian first
Rockledge, Florida
“Awesome views!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Came here for happy hour. Great drinks and appetizers. Best views of anywhere in the city. You can have an ocean, downtown or mountain view all at the same time! Well, depending on where you sit. The ocean and downtown view you can see from any seat on the terrace. That's where I recommend you sit at. Great place!

California
“Best sitting outside at sunset”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The view is spectacular and drinks, appetizers and full meals are all served outside where it is less pretentious. Wonderful martinis stuffed with bleu cheese olives and great wine list. All of the food is delicious but the fries in truffle oil are particularly addictive.

San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,417 helpful votes
“Great view and ambiance and service but food is just ok...”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I went here this weekend. We were celebrating my birthday and made a reservation here. One thing I was VERY surprised at is on the weekends they don't take a reservation without providing a credit card number.

So I gave them a credit card number and made a reservation. I guess if you don't cancel it with plenty of notice, they charge you $100 cancellation fee so really keep this in mind.

The ambiance of the restaurant is really great. The view is spectacular. We got lucky and got a table right against the window so we had a romantic and spectacular view of the airport. It was neat seeing planes take off and land with all the lights on the runway.

The service is really spectacular. The only thing kind of strange is the guy leading us to our table was a bit touchy/feeley with both me and my wife. He was massaging my arm as he led me to the table. Then I didn't see he was doing the same with my wife. In fact, my wife thought it was me touching her as she said it was constant which is strange I thought. I can understand friendly but I thought it was too much to grab someone's arm and massage it for more than a few seconds. (We are very easy going people but I can imagine it would really rub some people the wrong way).

We started off with the House salad which I thought was very good. Great dressing and vegetables were fresh. We got an appetizer of a play on eggs, bacon, mushrooms and asparagus with toast. They told us it was a new dish. It was ok. The egg was a bit runny but it had a good flavor.

My wife got the Salmon and I got the Halibut. She said that hers was good but not great. My Halibut was ok but it was cold. I didn't want to be difficult and send it back but I probably should have. It was very bland tasting with no real flavor at all. I was disappointed with the Halibut and couldn't recommend anyone getting that.

I thought the highlight was the desserts. They had a great selection to choose from. We shared an apple torta dish with ice cream. It was delicious. They also brought over a candle for my birthday along with some other small dessert treats. That was a nice touch. The plate also spelled out "Happy Birthday".

We also got a side dish of the mushrooms and it was pretty good.

We didn't get any alcohol at all as we don't drink alcohol and the total with tip came to $200 so this place is pricey.

I would rate the food as just average. I would rate the ambiance as excellent so I gave it a very good rating overall but the food I really believe doesn't match up with the ambiance. I've had much better meals in San Diego at places like The Market in Del Mar. That food is really incredible but doesn't have the ambiance of this place.

Overall, it's a nice place for a special occasion if you can get a table by the window but I didn't think the food was anything special. The best things seem to be the salads and the desserts.

2 Thank saintba
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Favorite, favorite”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Every time we are in San Diego we go here. It is our favorite restaurant. Best to have a reservation -- it is always busy. A definite spot for a special occasion. The food is creative and good. After dining here I always want to return immediately. It is usually that good. But not sure I feel that way after this evening. My one criticism is that we felt very rushed. This is a major issue for us. Before we finished half of our cocktail our salad was there. Our wine came immediately (still hadn't finished our cocktail). Before we could finish our salad our main course was there. What happened to the days when you went to a high-scale restaurant and you weren't a number? You leisurely dined. This time I had indigestion after I left -- forced to eat quickly to give up our table for the next diner. Shame, shame. Hope Bertrand reads this so they can correct this! Not sure if I should say service was excellent or poor. It definitely was fast.