“Last minute dinner”

Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between First St. & Front St. just West of Horton Plaza
Transit: SD Trolley stop Santa Fe station. SD Metro Bus stop 1st and Broadway.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

While shopping downtown in the evening we were looking for someplace to eat dinner. Just so happens we were parked across the street from Athens Market on Ave F. Being Greek we decided to try it out. So happy we did. As in most Greek Restaurants the staff was friendly and outgoing. Our waitress was awesome. Upon talking to her she told us of some wonderful places to visit the next day just to relax. We took her advice and was happy we did. The food was delicious, very authentic , just like I prepare at home. They have patio seating as well as indoor seating.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Ambience,food and service was great. Mary thank you for your hospitality and making my last night in San Diego memorable. Great location, and we broke out in song before we left!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I will start by saying that greek food is really not may favorite having eaten my share of fair to bad tourist greek food. My partner, local to San Diego and the area convinced to to try one more and boy was I glad he did. Not too loud, white table cloth, pleasant waitress and even the owner stopped by our table. I like this. For starters I had the avegolemeno soup which is a creamy chicken soup with nice chunks of chicken and a lemon finish. My comrades had the lentil which was equally good if not better. I ordered the charbroiled bay octopus in herbs and olive oil. Tender whole octopi, charred just right in a great herbed oil that we dipped our bread in after the octopi vanished. For my main dish I had Sifatho, sirloin bits simmered in onions and herbs. Very good and different. Others in our party had the chicken kebabs and the lamb shank. I tasted the lamb in in was done just right and wonderfully seasoned. I finished with the baklava which was light traditional and excellent. Recommended.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

There were 10 of us for dinner celebrating several birthdays. Even though the reservation was made a couple weeks in advance, our table was not ready. We were given a few appitizers that were not that good. The meals were slow coming out of the kitchen. Several people had to wait 15 minutes. The food was just okay, the parking impossible. I would not go back to this restaurant. Our service was excellent, but having only 1 person to handle 10 people was difficult.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

How tasteful the Owner Mary Pappas, in operation on this Address since 1986,renovated this to a greek heaven! An absolute fantastic interior makes you dream of Ancient Greece.

We spent our New Years Eve in this setting and had a wonderful experience.
The Food was tasteful and moderate in price. Wines from Greece, beside the usual Californian Wines. In short: This could save you a trip to Greece and the Jet Lag!

Try the Baby Octopus, marinated and sautéed in Vergin Olive Oil with lots of Garlic and Oregano
and the Saganaki,
Flaming Imported Kefalograviera cheese lighted with brandy.
These are just two of a variety of great appetizers.
check the menu online: www.athensmarkettaverna.com