“Very good Mexican food”

Old Town Mexican Cafe
Ranked #302 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Salsa delicious, fresh made tortillas, staff very friendly and we both enjoyed our meals. I had the Spanish omelette and my husband had the carnitas. Only complaint was from my husband that the pork was a little too fatty/oily.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (1,729)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We watched the ladies make tortillas & had to stop in. Our waiter was super nice & suggested a dish of carne Asada tacos that are lightly friend. SO GOOD after after a flight from the Midwest. Salsa was very good also.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Truth? We stopped in because we needed to get out of the blazing heat to regroup. We stayed because they didn't have a wait, like most of the other restaurants on that street. (Should've been a clue...had we been more hydrated, we might've noticed and heeded...)

The restaurant is much bigger on the inside than it looks from outside. We were taken to a booth about halfway in, and settled down at the sticky and salty table to wait for service.

I won't drag this out - we waited. We waited a long time for our waiter to come by for our order. In that time, we'd placed our drink orders (a gallon of water for me, iced tea for him) and determined that their free chips and salsa weren't worth the space or the calories.

It was mid-morning, so they were serving brunch. I thought when we sat down that I was hungry, so I ordered the Pork Carnitas Hash. My husband went with the two tacos combo plate (both beef), which was served with rice and beans.

We only saw our waiter once after we placed our order, and that was when he came by - all full of smiles and "amigos" - to drop off our check. He didn't come back to get us settled, he didn't come back to see us on our way. Our tip went to the non-waiter staff guy who waited on us the entire meal.

Anyway - the food was mediocre. I only ate about a quarter of my plate; I lost my appetite after biting into an overly fatty piece of pork that was hidden in the folds of a piece of overcooked egg. We did end up getting a to-go box for it - my husband thought he'd take the leftovers with him to work - but the food ended up getting tossed after sitting in the fridge for several days.

At least the tacos seemed to be better, or my husband was hungrier. He finished both tacos (according to him, the meat was a bit bland and tough, but he was able to add flavor by drowning the tacos in salsa) and most of the beans (slightly flavored, kind of cold). He didn't touch the rice.

Not an experience we'd choose to duplicate, not with so many other options in the vicinity.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Love this restaurant, the best in Old Town. We always order crispy carnitas. Very tasty. A must destination for restaurant.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From the moment we walked in the door, until we left, the staff were superior to any other place we ate at during our 7 day stay in San Diego. The food was great too!