“Very good food”

Old Town Mexican Cafe
Ranked #243 of 5,141 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We really liked our meal at the Old Town Mexican Cafe. The tortillas are handmade by women up in the front of the restaurant - it felt a little exploitative to have all these women making tortillas by hand in an obvious area meant to be visible from passersby on the street, but they seemed to be OK with it so who am I to complain?

We ate around 7:30p on a Wed. evening, so while the restaurant was still somewhat busy, the noise level wasn't too loud. We were seated at a table in the corner for 6 people, and I noticed immediately that our table surface was tilted to much I felt like I was at a constant pitch on a boat.

Food was excellent. I had the Old Town Famous Carnitas, regular style. It was a bit of a chore to put the ingredients all together in the tortillas, but the first bite proved it was well worth it.

The check for 2 kids meals and the 4 adult meals was surprisingly low, so from a price standpoint I give this place thumbs up.

1  Thank EJEvo8
Write a ReviewReviews (1,528)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Good location. Food was good but not exceptional. Service was terrible. Got to restaurant early evening. Got seated immediately. Waitress was overwhelmed. Waited forever for a drink. My order was not right, but because of the long wait, did not complain. Taco was greasy, and meat stringy. The only good thing is the atmosphere.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stopped here on a recogmendation from our hotel and were glad we did. We have many authentic Mexican food places where we live so we are hard to impress. This place impressed us.My wife had the potato flautas.They were very good and the carnitas were the best I've had anywhere. The service was good and the prices were very good as well.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We ate here a few years ago and LOVED it. Upon returning to San Diego it was our first stop even before we checked into the hotel. Though it was late evening mid week and not crowded the service was horrible, slow and not very friendly. The drinks seemed waterered down. The food was tasteless and cold. Only the guacamole had any redeeming quality.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Fahita bowl is worth the visit. You are able to build your own soft shell Fahita's with Jumbo Shrimp, Beef, Chicken, or slices of fried mozorella cheese. Unbelievable!