“No guidance about different expensive tequila selection”
Review of El Agave

El Agave
Reserve with OpenTable
El Agave is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #175 of 4,870 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Old Town Ave
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Had dinner hear with about 20 others on a business trip. Might have had a better experience with smaller group or a couple. I did not see any signs. Ended up parking in a parking garage that seemed to be open to the public right behind it. However, when we arrived to get car after dinner, they had locked it, with our car in it. Fortunately, security guard let us in. Still not sure if parking is permitted there. It needs signs.
Decor is cool. It looked like hundreds and hundreds of Tequila bottles lining the walls and on racks on the ceiling. I was looking forward to sampling some. When I asked the waiter, he handed me a menu the size of a telephone book with very expensive prices and no information about the various tequilas. Waiter was no help. Settled on getting their “perfecto” margarita. It was quite good, but expensive ($12) and much smaller than I expected. I got the Negro Mole. It was good, not great; especially considering the price ($22) It was somewhat cold (maybe because of the large group). Service was OK.
Might be a good place to come with a date, but if they are a Tequila themed restaurant, you think that they would provide all kinds of info about the choices and have the waiters also understood it.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

If you love tequila, you must visit this place! Unlike other reviewers who didn't see prices before ordering, I asked specifically for a tequila menu - it listed all available tequilas and their prices. I had a shot of the house Anejo, which was quite nice and very smooth, then ordered one of their "special margaritas" which involved hibiscus syrup and pineapple juice w/ a sugared basil rim. YUMMMY!!! I also ordered the cilantro soup - it's worth going JUST for that item. The other foods were less impressive, and yes, it is quite expensive for the entrees. My husband said "that's the MOST I've EVER spent on Mexican food!" Still, I would return....!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

What a great surprise. This is unlike any Mexican restaurant I have ever eaten at. The restaurant was quaint and all of the tequila bottles were very interesting but the food was over the top. The lamb and the sea bass were outstanding! All of our meals were very good and the service was really good. It was a lucky find as we were just staying across the street at the Fairfield inn

1  Thank RedDeerMichelle51
Reviewed October 17, 2013

now i use to lave this place but this time it was just not as good the sea bass was ok at best, and the chalupa langosta were ok but when you factor in the cost of this place 33.00 for an ok entree is a rip off

2  Thank randy7496
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Had wonderful business dinner here. Food was great as were drinks. Excellent wait staff and nice environment. Good value for your money .