“Ottima Zuppa!- Great Atmosphere, rustic yet homey”
Review of Asti Ristorante

Asti Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Asti Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #136 of 4,987 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 5th Avenue Between F and G Street
Description: Asti, located in the heart of San Diego's Historic Gaslamp Quarter, has been providing guests with an exquisite fine-dining experience since 1994. Watch the passersby as you dine out on the patio for a pleasant shaded lunch or while indulging in a candlelight dinner. Come on inside to experience the warm, elegant ambiance of the dining room. Asti is walking distance to the San Diego convention center and to downtown hotels.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have passed by this restaurant for years, but have never ventured inside. I used a ideal for a cause coupon and took the leap! I really liked the exposed brick and large artwork. It reminded me of a restaurant I loved in Siena.
Food: The bread was fresh and the butter was soft. The soup was fabulous! I loved the pasta e fagioli and the minestrone d'asti was also good. However, the Fagioli zuppa was packed with flavors that were rich and delightful. We split the Carbonara.....I have had better and would not order it again, it was too rich and had to much bacon. I watched the other entrees that were delivered to the other guests and they all looked delicious.
Atmosphere: Exposed brick, small, but not tiny, and intimate.
Service: We had a long wait between our bread and soup and then for our bill, but ultimately it was not frustrating.

Overall: I would definitely go again, but the restaurant is $20+ for entrees and if you split the fee is $3.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

When approached this restaurant the front of house staff were very attentive, encouraging us to consider dishes from the specials menu. There was a particular seafood pasta which appealed to my husband and I. The restaurant next door offered a similar dish for $27/28. There were no prices next to this Asti's special dish, we asked the front of house staff the price and she told us $25. This therefore swayed our decision not to eat next door.

The food itself was reasonable and the seafood was plentiful. But the quality of the way the food was cooked was average.

When the bill arrived and the dish was charged at $43, rather than the $ 25 that we were told, we were quite annoyed.

If they had been upfront with us about the cost, we may have still eaten there but chosen a least expensive meal. Did not like being lied to. We told the waiter, he didn't seem to bothered and didn't even offer to deduct the $15 gratuity that had also been automatically added to our bill.

Meal ruined by poor service and staff that either dishonest to steal custom or just don't know the meals that they provide.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Fairly good food in a nice setting but tables are very cramped making it less enjoyable when waiters bang into you moving between tables. Waiter we had was a bit abrupt but the Mexican member of staff was very attentive which made up for it. Not an inexpensive visit and have had better.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

A friend recommended this restaurant and I'm so glad she did! The food is AWESOME! The building has great character! Our waiter, Juan, chose my meal based on a few things I told him and WOW! Each of the 4 of us had different meals that were amazing. We had to taste test every thing. Juan paired our meal with fantastic wine. It was sensational from the burrata appetizer to my veal chops and pasta to the tiramisu, apple tart and lemon dessert. Wonderful service - attentive but not in your face. Perfect portions - enough to allow for 3 courses. Great ambience - fabulous music in the background. It will be a must visit place for us in San Diego from now on.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We recently had a lovely meal at this charming Italian restaurant in downtown San Diego. The service was impeccable and extremely efficient. The food was excellent.

It was really busy on the day we visited and a reservation is recommended.