“Breakfast with the warmest welcome!”
Review of Big Kitchen

Big Kitchen
Ranked #538 of 4,994 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed April 20, 2014

If the owner is in she will give you the biggest welcome you have ever had. It is a fun an exciting place to have breakfast in a cute part of town. Whoopi Goldberg use to wash dish here! food taste like it is from your mammas kitchen. it is a place that is super casual, but don't be fooled it is yummy!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Take a ride to South Park/Golden Hill for a breakfast or lunch treat you will not forget.
If you are lucky you will find Lucy...The Beauty on Duty. If she does not find you for some strange reason, ask if she is in. Once you meet her you will not forget her. She has been treating customers to special joys here for 34 years.

This is a unique spot with lots of color and with excellent food to boot. After checking out the sidewalk cafe make sure you take a tour of the restaurant (both rooms), taking time to enjoy the many pictures and signs on the walls. Don't miss the back alley patio.

We were in San Diego for 4 days. We went to the Big Kitchen 3 mornings for breakfast. Next to our grand daughter's wedding, it was the singular highlight of our visit.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Went recently for lunch and was very disappointed. Not only was the food not good but the service was nothing to write home about. Our waiter was not friendly, did not come back to check on us and seemed put out when I asked for a refill on my iced tea. My hamburger was so-so and had a funny chemical taste which I finally deduced was rancid mayo, yuck. The place does have a cute local homey vibe but the bathroom is gross and why I will never go back. The Big Kitchen used to be well known but it's obvious that whoever's in charge is not really interested in keeping the place up to snuff. My recommendation? Go elsewhere.

1  Thank mustluvdogz
Reviewed February 14, 2014

This place has one of the best breakfast menus in town! Lots of art and pics on the walls. Some really cool outdoor seating as well as the old fashioned stools if you are alone or with one person and both like to chit chat with locals!
Judy is infamous for helping bring that area (now called North Park) up to a place where people feel safe.
It isn't open for dinner though, at least, not the last I heard. You might want to check on that though.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

As a Former South Park resident before it was a hipster enclave, this was one of my favorite places for breakfast and lunch. Judy the Beauty still remains loving and a big supporter of her hood. However, her employees must play her like a fiddle, that's the only reason I can think of for the sub-par service we received when we went to brunch here. Our waiter was clearly uninterested in providing any real service and the food was just mediocre and definitely not worth it's cost.

I still find the place kind of cute, though I think there's mainly the same stuff on the walls as when I ate there 10 years ago. Yes, many, many years ago, Whoopi Goldberg worked here. The outside patio is charming, I enjoy the crowded indoor restaurant and eating outside on the sidewalk is also fun. I enjoy people watching when I come here. I do miss my South Park.

If you do go eat here, get the Kona coffee, it's worth the extra money. The scrambles, french toast, pancakes and fried potatoes are excellent (just overpriced). OJ is fresh squeezed and delish. For lunch, I used to always get the tofu and vegetables over brown rice and I never really tried anything else since that was my fave.

I will never take friends here again because I was embarrassed about the high prices, the mediocre food, and the poor service. There's just too many really good breakfast places in San Diego for me to continue to bring other people here to try this little bit of San Diego history. If you are a of a conservative political bend, you probably aren't going to like this place. It has a left wing, liberal, activist feel to it (which I personally think is a plus - but I could see where my more Conservative friends would find it offensive.)