“A surprisingly good find as an alternate to our intended destination”

El Indio Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #167 of 5,141 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We hit the area to find a different restaurant that was lined up outside the door. Being hungry, we opted to try El Indio that had walk up ordering with both indoor and outdoor seating. The food was a very pleasant surprise, as all 3 of us commented on how good the food was. The grilled fish tacos and the daily special shrimp ranchero burrito were excellent, and the home make chips and salsa excellent. Not elegant at all with counter ordering and plastic plates, but great food.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I arrived about 20 minutes before closing. You order at the counter and then wait for your order to be called up. If you want chips, you have to buy them. The salsa bar is free. I did not find the place hard to find using GPS, but of course I was using the free Google Navigation app for Android that is amazing. The carne asada tacos were great. A lot of the items come with guacamole, which is awesome. The staff is very friendly and are interested in a good customer service experience. I would definitely return to this place and it is a great place to get some Mexican food in Southern California.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I ate here last week while in San Diego. We were pleasantly surprised by the good prices. Ordered at the counter, and the food was ready pretty quickly. Very friendly staff. The wife got a shredded chicken enchilada with green sauce (said it was a bit spicy, which was good), and I got the carnitas plate. I am not a huge fan of refried beans, but these ones were delicious. The flour tortillas and the meat were some of the best I've had. Definitely will go back when we come back to San Diego.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place was a little hard to find with the GPS but very worth it! I had seen this show on "Diners, Drive Ins & Drives" and knew I had to check it out. The tamales are some of the best I have ever had but the tacos & burritos are good too. Chips & salsa were good too.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My son insisted that we stop by after seeing this joint on the Travel Channel. Tasty, if not spectacular, Mexican food. Liked the tamales, loved the enchiladas.

Been to El Indio Mexican Restaurant? Share your experiences!