“Small servings/big prices”
Review of AVANT Restaurant

AVANT Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
AVANT Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #219 of 4,852 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pomerado Road
Description: Venture forward with bright new flavors, fresh from the sea, farm and garden. Savor cocktails, wines and beers uniquely created with an artisan's touch. It's lively and sophisticated with a dash of daring. AVANT, come and experience what tomorrow tastes like. AVANT focuses on unpretentious, approachable cuisine with homegrown culinary touches paired with handcrafted classic cocktails, local craft beer and limited production wines from around the world. AVANT draws on the best of wine country dining - inspired culinary exploration, leisurely socializing, and the freshest of seasonal ingredients - and moves it forward with a contemporary California mindset. Our culinary team serves up vibrant, creative dishes and artisan libations that embrace items foraged, farmed, hunted or fished. An inviting setting defined by its indoor-outdoor design, dynamic spaces and social settings, you need to try this. Complimentary valet parking available.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Living here, my husband & I actually went on separate occasions with friends. He & his male friends said the food was good, but the serving sizes were extremely small. He ordered a wedge salad which was about 2" in width. They ended up having to order so many dishes, they actually could have gone to a very nice restaurant & had a full meal.
Me & my lady friends found the same problem. The wines, which they have many by the glass, were quite high for this area. I got 2 glasses or Chardonnay. They were $16 ea. add the food to that, & again, could have had a great dinner elsewhere.
It is a lovely setting, but I've heard the same misgivings from my ladies golf group. We are all disappointed & probably will not return.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

While the restaurant was nicely laid out and appointed, the service friendly but really slow. The food was cold and unappealing.
My wife didn't eat the $35 steak. It was overlooked and dry. She didn't feel like complaining any more. We paid and left. The nice waitress comped our dessert.

RBINN, General Manager at AVANT Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Recent Guest, I apologize for the lack of service and less than desirable cuisine that you experienced. It is certainly not the standard that we strive for and I would like you to know that your comments have been addressed with AVANT's Culinary Team.

Please allow me to make your experience right. Please contact my assistant, Glenna, so that you can make a new memory. Glenna can be reached at glolson@jcresorts.com.

Best Regards,
John Gates

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Avant is the newly remodeled and redesigned flagship restaurant at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. The new look including both the decor and the set up is very appealing and attractive. There is both an interior dining area, as well as a porch like room that is partially open.We were fortunate to have had two meals there recently and both were great experiences. The staff is very accommodating and professional. Our first visit was a 91st birthday gathering with a party of seven. Both visits were for brunch. There is a separate brunch menu featuring a number of different eggs benedict dishes and the one with the Parma Ham is excellent. It also has duck confit hash and other dishes, all very tasty.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I went to AVANT as a team building exercise with two co-workers on a Tuesday night. The atmosphere was amazing, the theme felt like being inside a well-polished house. The server (Blake) was very knowledgeable, he answered all the questions we had. He was also very friendly and laughed at our jokes and indecisive minds. The Chef De Cuisine (Jason) came out to greet us and answered the questions we have as well.

The dinner was amazing, the atmosphere was lovely, and the staff was very friendly. I definitely reccommend it!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We went to AVANT for a special dinner event in which some different plates were served that are not on their standard menu. Many of the plates were quite good - some were a little more successful than others (such the Kushi Oyster, Curried Kabacha Squash Bisque and Confit Wagyu Short Rib). The wait staff was very friendly and attentive. The updated restaurant décor was nice.

Been to AVANT Restaurant? Share your experiences!