“The unexpected highlight of the trip”

San Diego Sand Castles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The best way to spend time on San Diego's beaches is by doing something unique - build a professional style sand castle! San Diego Sand Castles isn't a gallery, competition, or "thing to see" for public viewing (please don't come to our address expecting to see sand castles!) In fact, we're a far more interactive reservations-required beachside "thing to do" where your group gets to be the artists! San Diego Sand Castles specializes in sand castle lessons for people of all ages all year-round! Our sand castle lessons are a lot of fun, are educational, and a great way to spend time on the beach in San Diego. When the instructors aren't happily teaching sand castle lessons, they are often working on professional masterpiece commissioned sculptures or you can often find them creating their own unique ideas!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed December 27, 2015 via mobile

We are a family of 4, with girls ages 11 and 16. We didn't know what to expect and when I said we were taking a sand castle building class there were a few questioning looks, but this was a great family experience - the highlight of the trip! The location was beautiful and our guide was the right balance of teacher and helpful, but didn't do it for us. We learned so much and felt so accomplished with our sand castle. Give yourself plenty of time and bring sun screen and water. Highly recommend!!! You won't be disappointed.

All reviews
"taking pictures"
"whole family"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed December 27, 2015

My sons (14) and (12) thoroughly enjoyed building their sandcastle. The instructor was so nice and the boys had fun with a beautiful end result. I loved seeing them so creatively absorbed in something that was not on a screen. An overall excellent experience that we would do again.

Reviewed December 26, 2015

My family had so much fun building a sand castle and learning techniques with our instructor Andrew! Myself, my husband, our 11 year old daughter and 8 year old son all had a blast! We brought our 4 year old along and it was good we had someone to watch her (her grandmother) because she was not interested and would have destroyed it if we allowed her to get close, they very kindly did not charge us for the 2 of them since they were not participating in the lesson. And overall great experience, we wish it would have lasted another couple of hours!

Reviewed December 25, 2015 via mobile

Fun day at the beach making something that looks hard, but is fun and rewarding. My kids enjoyed themselves, but my husband and I did even more. It's officially off my bucket list!

See more reviews
Reviewed December 24, 2015

This was a great way to spend the day at the beach, and the time just flew. A great combination of activity and relaxing: while our sand base was setting our guide showed us how to make small hand sculptures near the water and we looked for shells. It was just my sister and me and the guide, and once we started sculpting we and all the passersby were amazed at how great the castle (and the dragon) looked. This was such a wholesome, wonderful way for the two of us to spend the limited amount of time we had together. We felt like little girls again.