“Marketing 5 Stars - Donuts 3 Stars”
Review of Donut Bar

Donut Bar
Ranked #1 of 69 Bakeries in San Diego
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Okay...so my wife insisted that we stand in line for 30 minutes to get a donut at a place that everybody on social media seems to love. Against my better judgement, I agreed. While waiting in line, I noticed all of the self promotion with mentions of San Diego's best, as seen on the "View", the best donut shop in the USA, #BestDonutsInTheWorld, etc., etc. A guy who looked like Santa Claus (probably the owner) came out with a tray of donuts and was handing them out to the many young children in line. A woman was in tow snapping photos. As I finally approached the entrance, I saw customers leaving with boxes of donuts. The store hours said 8:00 AM till sold out so I felt pretty fortunate to have this opportunity to buy donuts. The anticipation was killing me as my mouth began to water so I decided to buy several donuts. Some of the donuts were gigantic, others had funny faces drawn with icing and all were very colorful. I ordered 7 donuts with a coffee and the bill was $19 or $20. As I bit into my maple bar with bacon, I realized that it didn't taste any different than the thousand other maple bar donuts I had eaten over my lifetime. I felt disappointment but appreciated the genius of marketing.

1  Thank JandCtravels
There are newer reviews for Donut Bar

Reviewed July 13, 2014

So glad we popped in to grab a box of these delicious donuts (tip: pick up some amazing fresh-squeezed OJ at the juice/smoothie bar next door to go with 'em!). Great, unusual, fun selection--though our faves were actually the classic sugar donuts. Still warm, ridiculously light and airy, super-fine sugar...perfection! They stay open 'til they sell out each day...the line moves quickly, the service is friendly, and the donuts don't disappoint! Eat upstairs or take 'em to go...we brought ours with us and devoured them at the picturesque, quiet picnic tables under the trees just to the left of the San Diego Zoo ticket entrance.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I visited this shop while in San Diego last weekend when the line coming out their front door and down the sidewalk peaked my curiosity. There must be something great inside, right? Well, I wasn't disappointed! The line moved very quickly, especially considering I was in laid back Southern California which hasn't seemed to master serving people quickly as has been done in places like NYC for example. We tried four different donuts and each was amazing as was their gourmet coffee. While in line I learned they were recently recognized as one of the top ten donut shops in the Country and I can see why. If you happen to be in San Diego this donut shop is not to be missed!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stopped here to try the donuts based on the trip advisor reviews. They were truly phenomenal. So good, in fact, I went back to get donuts the following day. Very innovative flavors (apple fritter with bacon; crem brûlée; triple chocolate, etc.). High quality ingredients, and friendly service. Worthy of high ranking.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

My family and I saw the reviews of this restaurant and had to try it, especially after seeing the pictures on this restaurant's Instagram account. We ordered online the evening before we wanted to pick them up. They change the menu daily. They have a Cro-Bar which is their version of the cronut. We got 14 donuts. They were ready upon pick up. They had delicious milk which was "on tap." The donuts were more expensive than your typical donut, but they're also much larger and MUCH more delicious. I highly recommend the CroBar, Creme Brulee, and Maple Bourbon.

2  Thank dbieniek