“Horrible Service !”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The food is the only thing that can save this place. The service was so bad, we can no longer advise our friends to go here. The food can only do so much. We were greeted by a waiter that acted like he could care less to be working at all. He didn't explain what specials they had that day, we had to inquire. Never received refills of ice tea. Had to ask for more water. Maybe it's best to just get a pizza to go. When a place is not consistent, it can't last at the top for very long.

1  Thank OCGirl58

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I was expecting to be wowed by the food but wasn't. The size of the pizza was good, soggy in the middle. My husband's pizza was the same...soggy in the middle. When ordering the pizza i had assumed the fresh basil would be placed after cooking, i sure was wrong. When we got our pizzas the fresh basil was burnt to a crisp. The service was slow but expected since it was packed. parking is street only and we had to make a couple circles just to find one. overall, the ambience was ok, food good not great, service is slow.

2  Thank shae27
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I had read such positive reviews about this restaurant and was really looking forward to trying it on my last visit to San Diego. I wasn't sure what to expect and it turned out that I was to be disappointed. In terms of ambiance, yes, there is a patio but don't expect much of a view. It is located on an intersection in the middle of a residential area. Having said that, this restaurant was hopping for a Tuesday night. But, having now dined there now, I wonder what the hype was. There was a line up to get in and I was lucky to get a table (I had phoned to put my name on the list as they don't take reservations except for a party of six or more). I was looking forward to a fresh Italian pizza. I happened to grow up in Italy so I pride myself on knowing my Italian pizza and this place had been touted as having the best Italian pizzas in town - at least pizzas as good as what you can get in Italy. Sorry...I just don't agree (and I've eaten a lot of pizzas in Italy). I ordered a Pizza Margherita (my favourite) and was terribly disappointed. Yes, the pizza was a generous size and thin crust, but the middle was decidedly soggy and the pizza appeared to be undercooked. The "fresh" bocconcini mozzarella was not as genuine as I expected and the fresh grape tomatoes sound great but contributed to the overall sogginess of the pizza as they were very watery. Yes, the service is genuine and most of the serving staff appeared to be Italian - but I have had way better pizza and really don't understand how this restaurant can be the number one restaurant in San Diego. I can tell you that the pizza that I had at Cucina Urbana (which I have also reviewed) was much, much better.

1  Thank WorldlyWench
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My husband and I have been searching all over San Diego for authentic Italian food since we returned from Italy 3 years ago. We found it here.

We went on a Sunday night and I stupidly didn’t make reservations thinking it wouldn’t be busy. Ha! It was PACKED! We put our name on the roster and were told the wait would be 20 minutes. We waited an hour and 15 minutes. This is the only reason I’m giving 4 stars instead of 5. They need to have a much better guess at how long the wait will be.

The food was the best I’ve ever had. I walked by the kitchen and the chef was yelling in Italian. Exactly what I would hope to hear.

Our party of 4 landed a $119 bill that included 2 full size salads, 3 appetizers, 3 glasses of wine, 2 pizzas, 1 large order of lasagna, and 2 deserts. By far the best deal in town.

Tips:

1 - MAKE A RESERVATION!
2 - Don’t be in a hurry. The food comes out fast but the check won’t. There is no rushing here - just like in Italy.
3 - Bring friends. It’s simply wrong to enjoy good food alone.

1  Thank riceburnergrace
Reviewed April 27, 2014

First 2 times I really liked the place - atmosphere, food, etc. Both times we ate inside, as part of the birthday party with reservations or came late on weeknight and were lucky to get table right away.
This time we were placed outside, right by the gate. It didn't have atmosphere, we felt all the crowdiness of places, people standing in line right by our table. And service was less attentive, more as an afterthought. Maybe because of all those 'ingredients', but even pizza didn't taste its usual great. We brought couple of friends with us, wanting to show them how great this place is, but they waren't impressed. We were served wine in thick water glasses, although other tables had wine glasses. Small detail, but noticable. Some table had a tablecloth. Ours was dirty and somewhat chipped. And I was really surprised that Tiramisu wasn't good, nobody liked it. Although we liked much better their cheescake - not too sweet, with ricotta, very pleasant. I hope this place will not go the way some other popular ones did- too much hype and too overwhelming.