“Wonderful Hotel and Staff!”

Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Ranked #86 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Round Rock, Texas
“Wonderful Hotel and Staff!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We enjoy staying at a Residence Inn when we travel because we don't get the feeling of just camping out in a hotel room. This Residence Inn is one the best we have stayed in. We arrived two hours early hoping to check-in early but expecting to have a wait ... the staff (Miglene I think that spelling is correct) was wonderful and gave us a great room AND an early check-in. Her friendly smile conversation and service made us feel like VIP's. During our four night stay ALL of the staff was very helpful answering our questions about restaurants and churches, and always had a welcoming smile and friendly 'Good Morning' or 'Good evening' for us.

Our studio suite was large and very comfortable with plenty of room so we didn't feel cramped. It was quiet for the most part and what noise there was came from above us and to be expected. The housekeeping staff did a super job of cleaning and keeping our room done while we were gone in the mornings, so it was always freshly done for us.

We have a large truck and unlike most hotels we were able to use their parking garage! The first level was for large vehicles and was self parking.

The hotel it self is fairly new and very well designed and the lay out makes everything easy to find. In others words this is one of the Best Residence Inns we have stayed at and will do so again if we are in the San Diego area again!

1 Thank dusters34
Casey G, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Dusters34,

Thank you for your recent stay with us! We were happy to hear that you enjoyed our brand new hotel and the spacious suites that accompany our friendly and professional staff. I will be sure to acknowledge Miglena for a job well done during our next team meeting. We hope to host you again in the near future when your travels bring you back to San Diego.

Casey Grieme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Saint Paul
Reviewed January 11, 2014

First Impression: The lobby was clean and was planned well. There was plenty of seating for people who were in groups, and corners for those who wanted to enjoy the free wi-fi offered in the lobby.

Staff: I was immediately greeted by a pleasant woman who was able to check me in right away. Everyone I encountered in the hotel was friendly.

Room: My room was beautiful. It looked very clean and well put together. Upon further inspection I did see that the blanket was washed but there was a small faded stain on it. Not a big deal for me but I could see others having a conniption over it. My view was of the highway and a hill.

Location: The hotel is conveniently located right off of the highway. I enjoy eating healthy when I travel; that is why I stay at the Residence Inn so that I can prepare my own meals. It was about a 10 minute drive to Whole Foods. There was an array of restaurants and boutique shops next to the grocery store. The hotel is also a few minutes from Torrey Pines State Reserve. The establishment is about a 25 minute drive to Balboa Park. Slightly further is Bernardo Winery - I highly recommend checking this place out. There are no attractions that you can walk to. Unless walking to the gas station is your thing.

Extras: The hotel offers free breakfast and on some nights free light dinner. I prepared my own food so I can't speak on the hotel's food. I can speak on the free parking though - that was nice!

Con: The only con was that the fitness center left a little to be desired. It felt as though I was in a basement. There are no windows.

I recommend this hotel if being in the middle of the action isn't what you are looking for.

Room Tip: Top floor to ensure no noise from above. View of highway at night was nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelingButterfly89
Kiyomi C, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hi TravelingButterfly89,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Residence Inn Del Mar! Thank you for also uploading photos of your room- is that your dinner on the table?- it looks yummy! Whole Foods is about ten minutes from us in Del Mar and there's also an organic market named Jimbo's close-by, about a mile away :). Also, for any housekeeping needs, please let us know while you're with us so we can address promptly! There are so many outdoor fitness activities in our near vicinity- from hiking Torrey Pines to local walking trails or running on the beach- that we like to recommend those options in addition to our fitness center. We hope to see you again soon!

Safe travels!

American Fork, Utah
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The hotel is well maintained, the staff is very friendly, and the location is such that my wife and I didn't hesitate to take the short walk to a grocery store in the evening. The complimentary breakfast was varied and delicious each morning and the staff preparing the breakfast very attentive to the preferences of the guests. Our family stayed for 5 nights and found ourselves within 15 to 30 minutes of every attraction that we had planned to visit in the San Diego area. Our room had both a king and a queen bed which were very comfortable.

I would certainly come back to this hotel when the opportunity arises.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kiyomi C, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Happy New Year, Royce S.!

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Del Mar for your San Diego vacation! You chose the right place to enjoy America’s Finest City- as you mentioned, our central location really enables you to experience it all in close proximity! We look forward to seeing you next time you have the opportunity to visit San Diego. Cheers!

Best regards,

San Diego, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I'm here for an extended stay and so far everything has been wonderful. The rooms are nice and spacious. The lobby is always bustling with people during social hours from Mon-Thu. The breakfast and drinks in the evening are very nice along with the great staff who are always upbeat and ready to help. Michelle V. at the front desk is always a pleasure to talk to.
Free parking and coin laundry are convenient amenities. All in all, a great stay which is still continuing, almost feels like home.

Room Tip: The breakfast at this place is very popular, go early to avoid the rush :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hi TJ4321,

Thank you for choosing the brand new Residence Inn Del Mar for your extended stay! We are so happy to hear that you feel right at home and we’re able to help you thrive. Our team is our greatest asset- thank you for personally recognizing Michelle! We’ll be seeing you around :).

Warm regards,

Del Mar, California
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This beautiful hotel only has king beds and a sleeper sofa. I am do not understand why they don't have some rooms with two queen beds. Anyhow, the sleeper sofa was terrible, very uncomforted.

I wouldn't recommend this Marriott if you want to have a good night sleep and need two beds.

1 Thank robert w
Casey G, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Robert W,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and the feedback you provided. I was sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than you expected. We do have a very limited amount of two bedroom suites that do have two separate bedrooms with a king size bed in each bedroom that can allow for some extra space to relax and the additional beds that you were looking for. The next time your travels bring you to San Diego, please reach out to me so that I can check availability for you on those suites and provide the rates.

Thank you so much for your feedback, as a brand new hotel, this feedback is vital for our success.

Casey Grieme
casey.grieme@marriott.com
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This property just opened in July 2013 and the facility and most important, the staff are terrific! My wife and I stayed 9 days and at the end we were really sorry to leave. The location is perfect, 2 miles from the beach, 3 1/2 miles from Del Mar Fairgrounds, etc. etc. The free hot breakfasts every day and free manager specials (hot food with beer and wine) Monday-Thursday are enjoyable and a relief on the wallet. Plus free, secure indoor parking is unheard of at almost every other major property. And when you meet Michelle, Robert, Thomas, Elizabeth and the other wonderful staff, you'll feel like you're part of a family. We'll be back!

1 Thank 334JimW
Kiyomi C, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Hello Jim W.,

Welcome to our Residence Inn family, we look forward to seeing you again! On behalf of our entire team, thank you for your review and choosing our hotel to make your home for the week you were in San Diego. The social hour and breakfast you mentioned are a great time for you to not only eat but also get to know our team, relax and unwind. We're glad that you were able to get to know Michelle, Robert, Thomas and Elizabeth. See you soon! :)

Happy holidays!

Chula Vista, California
Reviewed December 15, 2013

prop. located in a very central location close to beach, shoping, exc. very clean i stayed for a month so I got a good feeling for the hotel. michelle at front desk along with all the other employes were very professional and attentative.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 116fernando
Kiyomi C, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Hi 116fernando,

Thank you for choosing our Residence Inn for your extended stay!! A month is quite some time, thank you for spending it with us! Happy holidays!!

Cheers!

#70 of 279 in San Diego
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!