“Friendly place with tasty food!”

Mama Jamaica's Cafe and Grill
Ranked #2,768 of 4,776 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Jamaican
Tualatin, Oregon
“Friendly place with tasty food!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have had Caribbean food from many places and this ranks up there with one my favorites (just behind the makeshift BBQ down in Jamaica). Upon entering, we were greeted with a smile and everyone was very willing to explain the menu items to those less familiar.
On our first visit, my friend and I both ordered Beef Patties, which were good, but a little bland - the spicy pepper sauce definitely enhanced their flavor. We had the Jerk Chicken (tasty, but just a little spicy - should be more intense) for our main dishes, which came with rice & beans (cooked just right), cole slaw (with apple pieces - a nice touch), and a plantain piece (always welcomed), desserts were sweet potato cake for me (yum) and the Island Paradise (tropical fruit mix with cream) for my friend, who wanted "more, more, more!" On our second visit, I had the Curried Goat, which was very flavorful and cooked perfectly; my friend had the tri-tip, which was very tasty (though the spicy Jerk is still not that intense).
The decor is a hodge-podge of posters, a fish tank, a few Jamaican trinkets and a tiki bar. There is a large glass counter that dominates a lot of the restaurant, which could be used for more seating. When there, just sit back, enjoy the food, the music, the friendly chats with the workers and let your senses wander off to Jamaica.

• Visited February 2013