“Awesome indian food”

San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome indian food”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Unique taste and ambiance makes it different. This is a self service place but you get really yummy curries here. My favorite is Shahi Paneer and Onion Kulcha. Chicken Kadai is also great... This is a mom and pops place with friendly staff.. You will see lots of UCSD students hanging out here.. Curry that you get here totally unique compare to other Indian restaurants..

• Visited November 2013

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“As an India, this is some of the best Indian food I've ever had”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was looking for the best Indian restaurant in the city to while away some days during my holidays. I found that everyone on the Internet seems to speak highly of this particular restaurant. I went there to check it out, paying about $5 for my trip. I finally got to Punjabi Tandoor, hidden away in a relatively undeveloped residential area of the city, after about an hour of travel.

After the long trip, I half expected to be underwhelmed after reading so much about it. But I can truly say it was all worth it. I did not expect it to be so good. I don't think I have had Indian food as good as this since I left home. It was very remarkable.

The place is run by Indians, so the food is very impressive and authentic. I had a mixed vegetable dish and saag paneer with rice and naan. It was terrific. Especially the mixed vegetables.

The restaurant is tiny and not very atmospheric, although the food impressed me enough to ignore that bit. There is some seating inside and some more outside. Although the neighborhood seems desolate, there are always people coming after reading online reviews (especially around lunch time). It can be hard to find a seat and you may have to wait around. But they do give takeaways, which is great.

One nitpick point: They only have combos. They can give you single items if you ask for it but it becomes terribly expensive.

And it was so cheap! I got so much for just $6.99! It's hard for me to get to the area, but if I ever go in that part of town, I will definitely be back.

• Visited March 2013
Boulder, Colorado
“Hands down some of the best Indian food I've ever had!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have had a lot of Indian food, growing up in an Indian family and having grown up on the east coast and I must say, this place has some of the best flavors and fresh tastes! I highly recommend this place! I went with a co-worker on a business trip and returned two additional times on that same trip. It's kind of small so not great for large groups, but worth a trip. It's family owned and sort of a dive but the food is super fresh. I had the Paneer Makhni, Malai Kofta and Naan. I can't wait to go back!

• Visited August 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Good, cheap food”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been to this location when I have traveled to San Diego on multiple business visits. The people that own the place have remembered me and are always courteous (I have noticed they provide the same treatment to others). Their food is very cheap and it taste very good. I have gone on different days of the week and the place is always packed. I definitely recommend it to someone looking to try something close to authentic dhaba (restaurants on highways of India) style food.

• Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“An authentic experience in a neighborhood favorite.”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

It's always crowded and tucked away in an office park. There is only a little bit of seating inside and a little more outside. But the testament to this restaurant is the patient queue; the trays passing by and the brown takeout bags flying to the parking lot.

Really - this place has no charm or decorative ambiance...it is just an upgraded kitchen and takeout with a very limited menu. So, keep the expectations simple and you too will be surprised at the homestyle samosa, curry, masala, tandoor or vindalu.
It's one of my favorite places for biryani.

Overall - It is reasonably priced, large portions and a local treasure. The kitchen is busy like a truck-stop and the food comes out hot and fresh. We have tried all the vegetarian and curry dishes - with good satisfaction.

We are very grateful it's in our neighborhood.

• Visited January 2013