“Very Unique Pizza That Delivers Downtown”
Review of Berkeley Pizza

Berkeley Pizza
Ranked #655 of 4,764 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
San Diego, California
“Very Unique Pizza That Delivers Downtown”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I can't claim to be a pizza expert, rate the "best deep dish in S.D.", etc. But after passing this place several times and reading the positive reviews decided to try it when hosting lunch at my place. We had a total of 5 folks eating so I tried the large spinach and mushroom specialty pie.
Factored in their stated one hour prep time and their downtown delivery service had it to my door in less than 75 minutes at perfect serving temp.
We dug right in and this is a DEEP dish pizza !!! One of my guests described it as lasagna on a pizza crust...which isn't too far off. As others mentioned, all ingredients seem fresh and it's FULL of rich tomato sauce (only comment by one of my friends that a bit too much.....but I loved EVERY drop !).
Will definitely stop in to grab a slice here regularly, especially when walking to the ball park (and avoiding their frozen pre-fabs inside at double the cost of Berkeley's....).

• Visited October 2013

Lake Wylie, South Carolina
“Delicious Deep Dish In The Gas Lamp Quarter!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The restaurant is reminiscent of a very basic college pizza parlor - worn wood tables and chairs, minimal decor, loud music and a large blackboard listing the choices. However, we were greeted warmly by a punk rock throwback, who was very willing to explain how ordering worked at Berkeley Pizza and, after a short discussion, offered my husband a sample of one of the beers on tap that he thought would be to his taste. You order slices of Chicago-style pizza. "Whole huge pizzas" can be ordered, but slices are the way to go. Their signature style, spinach & mushroom, was wonderful. The pepperoni was also very good. Crust is light and crisp. Sauce is homemade. A number of beer-on-tap choices, bottled beer, bottled water and sodas are available. Worth a visit, especially if you're visiting SD and, as we were, you've grown a bit tired of the more "formal" dining out.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Puddin12609
Henderson, Nevada, United States
“Best pizza in a long long time.”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Truly handmade sauce was the best part. The dough was equally awesome. This pizza is best described as pie.
Got the two slices and a beer deal for $10. Beer selection was limited with this special.

• Visited July 2013
San Diego, California
“Excellent Pizza!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I can't speak for the restaurant as I picked up my "take-and-bake" pizza at the Little Italy Farmers Market on Saturday. It sat in the fridge until today, Tuesday, when I popped it in the oven for 12 minutes. This is seriously good pizza. Tomato and basil deep-dish with a crust that is a cross between a pizza crust and pie crust--great flavor, crispy and flaky. Yum. I'll be eating here again!

• Visited July 2013
La Jolla, California
“not impressed, is it worth a second try?”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I tried this place last night, on the recommendation of a friend. I placed my order at 930 or 935pm on Saturday.. the man taking the order told me the pizza will be ready in 25 minutes. when I reviewed the order at the end, he corrected the time and said 45 minutes. I figured no problem its a Chicago deep dish style pizza. When I called 45 minutes later to pick it up he said it wasn't ready yet after having me on hold for about 5 minutes. He said they needed another 10 to 15 minutes because they were swamped with orders due to Comicon. When I went in to get it, in 15-20 minutes, it still wasn't ready! They said they needed another 10 to 15 minutes. I waited 15 minutes went up to the counter, told the guy my experience & that my kids were waiting at home, he went to check in back. It still wasn't ready! At this point, it has been nearly an hour and a half... I was completely frustrated and not happy at all with the situation so I told the guy to cancel the order I was leaving. He said let me check. I begrudgingly waited. He said Its being cut now. I waited another minute and left. I have no idea how the pizza was, or whether it was a good value, unfortunately. It seemed like College/Gaslamp pizza joint. Chalk it up to Comicon, or just a bad night, but what I experienced wasn't the best here and certainly didn't live up to the reviews above.

Visited July 2013