“yum”

Ranked #536 of 4,770 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pacific Beach
Description: Thank you for visiting Cafe Athena's website!!! A visit to our Pacific Beach Taverna is like a visit to Greece, only closer. For those of you who have been to Greece, we hope your dining experience at Cafe Athena is something of a nostalgic reminiscence...Or a glimpse of toothsome delights awaiting those who plan to visit Hellas. Greeks believe that even the simplest meals may become ambrosia when you are in a happy mood. We hope our hospitality sustains your happy mood and we look forward to sharing with you the pleasures of this delightful cuisine.
A TripAdvisor Member
“yum”
Reviewed September 12, 2005

Reasonable prices, great food, a definite must

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Magnolia, Tx.
“Takes me back to Santorini.....”
Reviewed July 6, 2005

Spent a few days in San Diego during June and wanted to check out this restaurant because it sounded as if I could get good Greek food here. It's tucked away in a little strip center in an area of town where I used to live 30 yrs. ago --- didn't recognize the place at all. This place looks very inviting and has indoor or patio dining. I opted for indoor to enjoy the A/C, and when I walked inside, it was like being in Greece all over again. The walls are the bright white of so many of the Greek islands and coastal towns, and the Greek music in the background added to the ambience. Since I was there for lunch (and I eat light at lunch), I planned to order one of their salads and iced tea but was pleasantly surprised to find Boutari wines on the menu --- which I ordered instead of iced tea. The small Greek salad with grilled chicken was very good. Would've ordered the large, but wanted to save room for dessert. Had the house special dessert which takes 10 extra minutes to prepare, but it was worth the wait --- absolute heaven!! Recommended this place to all my friends still living in the SD area who like Greek and will definitely return here for future meals when returning to the SD area.

San Diego
“Tasty and healthy food”
Reviewed May 8, 2005

Best Greek food I've had, and I've tried a lot. I keep coming back, and PB has become a bit of a pain to drive in and out of now that's so hip. :-| Cafe Athena makes it worth it! You won't regret it. Not super fancy, but casual, nice atmosphere.

1 Thank Ronile
San Diego, California
“Great Greek Food”
Reviewed September 6, 2004

This is a great little restaurant - especially if you're looking for tasty Greek food. Tucked away in a small strip style mall with a few other restaurants, it's a pleasant place for lunch. The Gyros and the stuffed grape leaves are my personal favorites but just about everything on the menu is great. They do have a take out menu, which is great if you want to get food for a picnic by the ocean.

The only reason I'm not rating this restaurant as "excellent" is because I've had occaisonal problems with the service. Generally, that's not a problem - but it does seem that towards the beginning or end of the lunch hour the wait staff isn't quite up to speed.

Been to Cafe Athena? Share your experiences!